Jira mixes Issue Types when assigning Workflows to issue types

Sven Weih April 26, 2016

When I go to workflow configuration in a project and assign an issue type to an workflow, JIRA (latest version) mixes up the issue types. This means if I assign Task to workflow 1, JIRA assigns Sub-Task. If I assign Bug to Workflow 2, JIRA assigns story. 

3 answers

1 vote
Jonny Peters September 30, 2019

Sorry to resurrect this - I had this issue and found a work around that works for me.  (JIRA Server 7.3.4)

Repro steps:

1. Go to Project > Project settings > Workflows > Add Workflow > Add existing
  2. Select any existing workflow not already associated with the project (For me it was "Story Workflow)
  3. When prompted to associate issues types, select the desire issue type (e.g. Story)
  4. Result: Some other issue type is placed into the new workflow, and Story is not affected.

Work around: Make directly onto the Workflow scheme, outside of the project.

• Go to Administration > Issues > Workflow schemes
  • Find the scheme used by your Project and select "edit"
  • Add Workflow > Add existing
  • When prompted to associate issues types, select the desire issue type (e.g. Story)
  • Result: Success
Stefano Coletta May 11, 2021

I confirm this issue is still there on Jira Server v8.5.5 and the workaround of @Jonny Peters works fine.

I have the Zephyr add-on, but even if disabled the problem stays the same.

I had not the chance to go in safe-mode, so tried this workaround.

Thus I'm still unsure if the problem is coming from Zephyr or Jira itself, but I see no bug filed for this in Atlassian Jira so probably is Zephyr related.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2021

This is not strictly a "work around", it's "setting the workflows as intended".   If you read the "repro steps", you'll see it's missing the actual association that is included in the "work around"

Stefano Coletta May 11, 2021

Yes, not strictly a "work around", but it is the intended way also from a project, so there are currently two ways to set them. One is working, the other not. It seems that Zephyr needs more time to fix it.

0 votes
akniphoff
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2018

Hello,

The error occurs in a set of conditions.

How to reproduce it?

• Create a new Project <Project_Name>
  • Navigate to the Project Settings >> Workflows.
  • Edit Workflow >> Publish >> Save a Backup Copy >> Publish.
  • Navigate to the Project Settings >> Issue Type >> Actions >> Edit Issue Types >> Add Issue Type >> <New_Issue_Type> >> Add >> Save.
  • Navigate to the Project Settings >> Workflows >> Add Workflow >> Add Existing >> Select the Copy Backup >> Select just the Issue Type newly created >> Finish.

Result: The actual Issue Type assigned is not the one previously selected!

We have found this KB describing the same mentioned problem associated to the Zephyr Add-on. We have also reproduced the same behaviour with Calendar for JIRA Add-on. 

The workaround in this case:

First of all, mind that the procedure recommended could make some functionalities of your application unavailable, so we recommend you schedule a downtime validation window that would not impact the operation.

1. Locate any of the mentioned Add-ons at JIRA Administration >> Add-ons >> Manage Add-ons
  2. Disable the mentioned Add-ons (Zephyr and Calendar for JIRA).
  3. Associate the Issue Type to the Workflow.
  4. In case of success, enable back the Add-ons. 
  5. In case of failure:
    1. Navigate to JIRA Administration >> Add-ons >> Manage Add-ons.
    2. Enter Safe Mode.
    3. Associate the Issue Type to the Workflow.
    4. Exit safe mode and restore previous configurations

:)

Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2018

Do you know what the problems with the plugins are?

I have a plugin build by my own which is responsible for the misbehaviour.

But i didn't get any error in the logs and it works.
The only problem is the configuration of workflow schemes.

How can i fix it if i didn't know what the problem is :(

Karolin Blunk May 24, 2018

We do not have any of those plugins installed, but still have this problem. What can we do? This is a severe bug and should be fixed by Atlassian instead of providing a workaround for only a tiny part of customers after 2 years.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2016

I'm afraid I'm not understanding the question.

Could you tell us what you have in the workflow scheme for the project?

For example:

• Default:  default workflow
  • Bug: bug workflow
  • Sub-task: sub-task workflow

etc

And then explain what you mean by "assigning workflows" - what's going wrong and where?

Sven Weih April 26, 2016

Hi,

I have 4 workflows in my workflow scheme:

• Bug Workflow
  • Story Workflow
  • Default Workflow (default)
  • Subtask Workflow

I have a new subtasktype (named Bug-Task).

I am assigning that new subtask-type named Bug-Task to the Bug Workflow. Whenever I save the change not the bug-task was assigned to the Bug Workflow, but another issue type.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2016

Ok, I got most of that, but to be clear on the last bit - you go to the workflow scheme, click "add workflow" at the top right, select "bug-task" from both issue type and workflow?  Then when you click "ok", you come back to

• Bug Workflow
  • Story Workflow
  • Default Workflow (default)
  • Subtask Workflow
  • ???????

Is that right?  What does the ????? say in your list?

Bart January 6, 2017

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] @Sven Weih

Did you ever find a resolution/fix to this bug? We are experiencing the same problem with v7.1.9. 

I am trying to create a reopen transition from a terminating 'Closed' status. Since I am unable to edit terminating status on active workflow, I must create a copy. When I try to add the edited workflow back to my workflow scheme, JIRA associates it with a different issue type. 

Please let me know if any fix was discovered.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2017

I suspect the original poster worked out that they weren't doing the issue type assignment correctly.

Averil Franklin September 7, 2017

Core 7.3.3 most definitely has a bug in here. Being in teh projects workflow scheme and attempting to assign issue types to another or new workflow, religiously fails. I have experienced this many times now, so it's a programming issue that it is ignooring the issue type selections being made. seems to be opting for wahtever issuetype it finds in its lists first.

reattempting this inside system admin as a stand alone WFS change is marginally better. here's hoping they fix this soon as it could be pretty data damaging

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2017

I'm not getting that problem at all (and given there were 80 people in the training doing the same thing today, I don't think I'm alone).

What does your log file say when it's failing?

Szymon Sieminski September 21, 2017

I have the same problem when adding new worflow to a scheme from the project administration view or trying to assign an issue type to a workflow. It seems to always assign the last issue type on list instead of the one i chose. It works correctly on workflow scheme edit in Administration->Issues->Workflow Schemes menu. We're using Jira Software 7.4.2.

Lynn Yuan December 6, 2017

We recently upgraded jira software from 7.1.9 to 7.4.5, and also found the issue in 7.4.5.

Our old 7.1.9 environment does not have this problem

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2017

The problem here is that no-one is replicating it.  It doesn't happen on a 7.4.5 environment I've got access to (or 7.4.2, or 7.3.3 or any other), so the question is "what are you doing differently to the majority of us".  It could be your browser, addons, customisations...

Maciej Kobiałko January 8, 2018

I'm definitely replicating this. When trying to assign new workflow to custom issue type I get random issue type assigned to "new" workflow and the issue type remaining with "old" workflow.

We're on 7.6.0

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2018

It's the same answer - please show us your workflow scheme and then an issue that has the wrong workflow on it, ensuring you show the project headers so we know it's all in the same project.

Maciej Kobiałko January 8, 2018

Here you go, trying to assign all issues typesto new workflow results in just one issue type.

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 18.51.27.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-08 at 18.52.13.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-08 at 18.52.28.png

Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2018

Hi,

i have reproducable the same problem in version 7.4.3 and also in 7.9.0 :(

Suggest an answer