Jira memory usage

Heurazio January 15, 2018

Hi,

how can I hard-cap the memory usage of my Jira instance?  I already followed the "Increasing JIRA application memory guide" and it's set to a maximum of 768m in the setenv.bat but it's still taking 1.3g according to my task manager. I'm a single developer using Jira and there are less than 500 issues. What could be wrong?

Kind regards, Alex

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2018

There are lots of reading out there but essentially, Xmx is not the maximum footprint of the JVM:

Heurazio January 20, 2018

Okay, this explains the 500m difference (which is really heavy in my opinion but okay). The other problem is that the memory is not freed if it's not used for a long time. I'm not using it regularly and the memory usage stays high all the time. Even if the System has a 99% memory usage and even if JIRA is not used for some days it's still not freeing the memory. Also, the overall consumption (768m) is insane high in my opinion ... Other systems that do "more important" work (TeamCity, Octopus) use much less memory at all (even under load).

Suggest an answer