Jira: location of the email error queue?

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2012

Where is the directory location of the email error queue in Jira. I know it sent by a Java module (SMTP?) but I'll like a more in depth review of the email sent failures.

Background:

I don't normally check Jira's email error queue but I did this morning and found 373 emails unsent since mid July. Most are from velocity templates I created 8 months ago and have not had an issue with. Most emails generated by these templates are still successfully sent out. I also ensured that each individual user could successfully be sent an email. I put these 373 failed emails back into the queue and 120 were successfully sent. I believe it is my ISP's SMTP that is hosing my email but I need explicit details.

Any pointers on debugging would help-- Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2012

SMTP is the wire protocol by which any application speaks to the SMTP mail server, for sending email.

The error queue is not on disk or in database, it's in memory, so if you restart jira it's gone.

Best way to work out the problem is to turn on mail debug logging (see atlassian docs), which will tell you if the connection was refused or whatever.

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2012

Excellent, lots of logs to shift through but now I have some details.... Thanks

Tatiana Jancusova May 12, 2014

Hi,

how did you resolve this issue? I habe over 6000 items in the error queue and can't send all of them.

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2014

So many issues since this one but I believe it was a misconfigured SMTP server when our company was bought out by Ericsson. Not sure of specifics -- sorry I can't be of more help.

Like Sanaz Hosseinzadeh likes this

Suggest an answer