Jira is slow after not using it for a while, after the first page load is performs normally.

Dennis Munninghoff June 19, 2016

Hi All,

We have JIRA in production for a little while now, and all of our team (4 people) experience slow pageloads after not using JIRA for a little while. After the initial page is loaded, which can take from 10-40 seconds, the speed is normal.

In my limited knowledge I would guess that the webserver is inactive after a while of no use, and after it's 'woken up' so to speak it performs well again.

It also seems that if any of us is working in JIRA this effect is seen; what I mean is that if JIRA is slow and my colleague starts using it, it will be fast for him after the first pageload, but for me as well. So it seems to be a server-side issue, not client side.

The server this runs on is a pretty powerful machine with two Xeon 2.5 GHz processors and 16 Gb RAM running Windows server 2012. It does not do much more besides JIRA and Bitbucket.

Java version is 1.8.0_51, Application server container is Apache Tomcat/8.0.17 and JIRA 7.1.1 buyild 71004

Does anyone recognise this effect, or maybe someone has a solution for this behavior or a troubleshooting guideline for this type of problem?

1.8.0_51

1 answer

0 votes
Rusi Popov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2016

Hello Dennis,

My experience is that such a behavior is observed when there are plugins (add-ons) redeployed / upgraded.

Dennis Munninghoff June 20, 2016

Thank you Rusi, Is there a way to troubleshoot this easily? As far as I know, we have installed this version of JIRA in March and not upgraded any plugins or JIRA itself since then. In fact, we haven't installed any extra plugins either. Is there a way to see what plugins are active and if/when they were updated?

Rusi Popov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2016

Hello Dennis, in order to see the custom plugins please check the page: JIRA \ Administration \ Add-ons \ Manage add-ons. There you could find the available plugin updates. Unfortunately that page does not show when a plugin was deployed.

If you could install Adaptavist ScriptRunner plugin (run JIRA \ Administration \ Add-ons \ Script Runner \ Builtin Scripts \ View Server Log files), you could review the log of the operations by the time when the delay was found.

Dennis Munninghoff June 20, 2016

Thanks Rusi,
I have increased the memory for JIRA, which seems to work. If the problem returns, I will have a look at the scriptrunner plugin.
For now, it seems okay. Thanks for your help.

Suggest an answer