Jira > Deactivate autocorrect in Jira issues, comments, etc

lisa sinclair September 24, 2019

I'd like to disable autocorrect in Jira issues and comments.

I've hunted through the Jira help but have found nothing for 'autocorrect', 'auto correct', 'spellcheck' or 'spell check'.

I've also hunted through the Confluence questions and there are no solutions there either.

It's not my browser doing autocorrect as I can type JIRA without being corrected, but if I do the same IN Jira, it's converted to lower-case.

I've hunted through Jira settings and can only find a global autocorrect which is turned ON.

Jira version is - 

Jira ba799f21

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2019

Hello Lisa,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to have you!

Jira will autocorrect our product names to the proper capitalization, per our Branding Change in 2017. So for example:

• JIRA > Jira
  • BitBucket > Bitbucket
  • HipChat (RIP) > Hipchat

It shouldn't be autocorrecting the spelling anything besides that. Can you let me know what kinds of things besides the Jira branding that it was correcting?

Regards,

Shannon

lisa sinclair October 3, 2019

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for the reply.

I can totally understand the creation of branding guidelines for your own purposes.

However, I'm making no representations to anyone on your behalf, nor attempting to use the brands for my own purposes. Nor am I trying to sell something using your brands. 

I'm just attempting to communicate with the people I work with. I might need to highlight the "brand" for our own purposes. If I want to capitalize it, I'll capitalize it.

Or is there some rule somewhere that I've missed?

Thanks

L.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2019

Hello Lisa,

I understand, thank you so much for the feedback.

I've created a feature request below for this:

• JRACLOUD-73120 Ability to disable autocorrecting of Atlassian product names in new editor

There's also an existing one for Confluence:

There's not a way to turn it off at the moment, but if you type ctrl+Z (Windows) or cmd+Z (macOS) immediately after the editor makes the change, it'll revert back to to the way you typed it.

Thank you again and have a pleasant weekend.

Regards,

Shannon

Miroslav Vitásek
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 27, 2024

Autocorrection is super annoying - I one ticket - ten sentences and in each sentence Jira changes my words to different ones !!! I am typing eg. words / names / abbreviations which this autocorrect feature do not knows and it is silently changing it by just typing in... grrrrr !!!!

Please developers / PO - switch off this feature - which is making the life more difficult and causing extra work, extra time and causing Jira useless when writing anything in "local" language - which is the case for majority of WORLD !!!

I still would like to have Jira UI in EN, but ticket texts in local language, so please stop immediately doing this autocorrection !!!

Suggest an answer