Jira field security - can you hide time log fields on Jira Cloud?

Technocrat
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 2, 2019

Hi There, 

We're looking to hide time log fields on Jira Cloud.

We're aware it CAN be done on the Server version, however, most past information from around 2016 that I could find suggests that time log fields CANNOT be comprehensively hidden from certain user groups on the Cloud version.

If someone has updated information about how to hide time logs on Jira Cloud that would be a big help.

Many Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2019

Hello @Technocrat

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Indeed, there are no options right now to change the visibility of the time tracking fields (Including Time Spent) for Jira Cloud, however, we agree with you that this would be a useful functionality. In fact, not even Jira Server has an easy way to hide the Time spent that would not require JavaScript or third-party apps.

That being said, we created the following feature request to get this functionality implemented for both Cloud and Server:

Hide Time Tracking estimates from certain users (e.g. customers) 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, there's a free third-party app that implements this functionality for Jira Cloud:

Hide Time Tracking for Jira Cloud 

Let us know if you still have any questions.

Technocrat
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 5, 2019

Thank you. 

That plugin seems to receive negative feedback and is not robust but we'll check it out.

I appreciate your great answer and adding it to the backlog!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2019

You are welcome, @Technocrat

Indeed, the negative feedback of the plugin is due to several limitations it has when compared with the Server version, although it is a Free Cloud app. Anyway, I rope that plugin can at least give you some light to achieve what you are looking for.

Have a nice weekend and let us know in case you have any other questions.

Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 10, 2019

The Hide Time Tracking plugin replaces Jira standard time tracking with its own but empty implementation. This way some parts of the Jira intefrace related to time tracking disappear. 

You might also try to achieve the same, but leave time tracking visible in some project or for some users/groups with Clockwork apps delivered by my team.
It allows replacing Jira time tracking with custom time tracking provider (exactly in the same way as HideTimeTraking app), and next set permissions (who can see what.) 

Cheers,
Jack

Suggest an answer