Jira field calculated based on another field.

I have several Jira issues with assignees. I need a custom field called "Entity", which will set VALUE1 if asigenee equalts name1, name2 and name3, and set VALUE2 if assignee equals name4, name5 and name6. If assignee changes from belonging to VALUE1 to VALUE2, this field should reflect that.

How can I achieve that? thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

The Script Runner plugin would work well for this.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner

After installing this plugin you can create a Scripted Field. In this scripted field you would create a groovy script which would dynamically set its value based on the assignee.

Your script might look something like this:

if (issue.getAssignee().getDirectoryId() == "name1" ||
issue.getAssignee().getDirectoryId() == "name2" ||
issue.getAssignee().getDirectoryId() == "name3")
{
	return "VALUE1";
}
else if (issue.getAssignee().getDirectoryId() == "name4" ||
issue.getAssignee().getDirectoryId() == "name5" ||
issue.getAssignee().getDirectoryId() == "name6")
{
	return "VALUE2";
}

This one can send emails on transitions, which I am to use for another project :) Thanks

I don't think you want getDirectoryId(), but the principle is correct.

yeah, I figured out

issue.getAssignee().getDisplayName() == "Last, First"

works like a charm.

Thanks again, your input was most helpful. It only took me like 2 hours to figure out you have to set searcher=none for the scripted field to display :)

And you should use:

issue.getAssignee()?.getDisplayName()

because it can be possible to have issues without a reporter - see https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Built-In+Scripts#Built-InScripts-Safenavigation.

I'll get to your review comment on the plugin... however this is not correct. Only set the searcher to none if you don't want to search on the issue. The reasons for it not displaying are:

* Not associated with the project / issue type
* Not on the view screen
* Scripted field not configured, or not configured properly, ie no script or no template, or errors in script (all these in the third bullet can be checked with the preview facility).

This works in search, but obviously doesn't appear in gadgets as filter selection. Can I somehow make a "solid" custom field, and then amend this script to be run say once in an hour, so it will populate the field with the needed value?

You could add a group picker field to the screen and then use the scripted field to just update the value of the group picker field. If you don't have the scripted field's script return a value, the scripted field will remain hidden.

The scripted field will then update the group picker field every time someone views that issue.

To make it appear for filter selection you should install https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/sk.eea.jira.natural-searchers, and use the supplied indexer as the calculated field indexer.

Thank you so very much for your work and kind responsiveness! Auto-add watchers! Auto-create tasks on transitions! Maybe now I'll finally make them assignees to complete required paperwork for each status.:)

PS: Just interested - what operator will set a custom field value from script (or pick the group)? I'm browsing the wiki now but can't see to find it.

If I hide the scripted field in the Fields Sheme, will it still be operational to set another field?

I use the updateValue method.

http://docs.atlassian.com/jira/latest/com/atlassian/jira/issue/fields/CustomFieldImpl.html

For example, I have a script which sets the subtask summary to match the parent issue, so I use the command:

Summary.updateValue(null, issue, new ModifiedValue(issue.getCustomFieldValue(Summary), parent.getCustomFieldValue(Summary)), new DefaultIssueChangeHolder());

For a group picker field, you will probably have to change the values you pass to the ModifiedValue function.

As far as hiding the scripted field, I'm not sure what effect that will have.

You can hide it, it won't cause any problems.

This seems to be the simpliest solution, thanks.

Sorry, SIL costs money, that's against my company policy to spend any more money on Atlassian

Ok maybe I was not correct.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

639 views 6 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you