Jira fails to import an email with the emoji '😊'

Tom Van Rossom March 16, 2018

When I send a simple email to jira (using Incoming Mail), a issue is created like configured in the Mail Handlers.

But when I send a mail with the emoji '😊' it is throwing a exception:

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x98\x8A )...' for column 'DESCRIPTION' at row 1

Even editing a issue, by adding the emoji to the description, fails.

(link to the correct emoji: https://apps.timwhitlock.info/unicode/inspect?s=%F0%9F%98%8A)

What can I do about this? I don't want to lose emails silently.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2018

My guess is that you're using MySQL for the database?

This has a known problem with higher numbered emojis, it can't handle them and falls over spectacularly when it runs into them.  As far as I am aware, there is no fix for this either in the database or in Jira, and the only workarounds I've seen work were:

• Write your own mail handler that can strip the emojis and replace them with something MySQL can store
  • Swap to PostGres
Ulrich Hinze November 26, 2020

Still no solution for this issue? It still exists in current Jira version with MySQL :o(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2020

You can now swap the collation of MySQL to one that supports the emojis.

Ulrich Hinze November 26, 2020

Serious? You really suggest to switch to a new database system to fix this issue? Shouldn't there be a way to handle this in the application where it happens?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 26, 2020

It's not happening in the application.  The error is from the database telling the application it can't handle the data the application has asked it to store.

Suggest an answer