Jira doesn't inherit assignee on subtasks

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2014

When creating a subtask in Jira, it annoyingly doesn't inherit the default assignee as the parent card's assignee. Instead it falls back to the default assignee, which is usually the team lead.

This means, when folks are creating their own subtasks to track their work, most of the time those subtasks are assigned to the wrong person and have to be fixed.

Any way this can be fixed?

3 answers

2 votes
Matt Michel December 2, 2016

+1 for this. I've created a transition but the best I can do is assign it the default assignee, rather than the person who created the parent task.

It get pretty laborious having to add the same assignee to a bunch of subtasks

2 votes
ZevEisenberg December 16, 2014

I would like this as well. I filed a suggestion here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41281

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2014

I don't thjink 'fixed' is the correct term. that implies a defect. I wouldn't want that behavior as a default. I believe you're asking for a way to change how the product works in YOUR instance. You can't do that out of the box. You'd have to go in and modify the source code or there may be a plug-in available. You never have instances where a subtask is created and assigned to someone else? We do subtasks for documentation, QA, Reviews, and other activities that need to be assigned to people other than the person creating the subtask much more often than subtasks for the assignee of the original issue.

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2014

> I don't thjink 'fixed' is the correct term. that implies a defect.

That is a fair point.

Bob Speck August 27, 2018

I am fine calling for a "fix".  Does not necessarily mean that the development was flawed.  In this case, the flaw seems to be a design oversight that should have allowed an option for new sub tasks to inherit the assignee of the parent task.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer