Jira does not restart properly after server memory upgrade

br1984 September 25, 2019

I noticed the server was running at >90% memory so I decided to add a gig of memory. After rebooting Jira no longer works. Error 521: Web server is down.  

When starting or stopping Jira with:

/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/start-jira.sh
/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/stop-jira.sh

Everything looks normal.  Jira appears to be running but there is no web access.  There are no errors, there is no information about what is going on.  Nothing was changed whatsoever except upgrading the server from 2GB memory to 3GB, otherwise the configuration is identical.

How do I fix this?

This is Jira 8.2.3
Running on: CentOS 7.5 x64

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2019

Error 521 does not mean "server is down", it means "I cannot get a tcp connection to a service"

Check your firewalls and routing between your client (browser) and the server, something is disallowing the connection.

br1984 September 26, 2019

I guess cloudflare needs to update their error messages if that's true, but in this case the server was down. For whatever unkonwn reason it turned out that nginx stopped automatically starting on startup after the memory upgrade. I cannot figure out why, but manually starting nginx got Jira back up.

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2019

You are misunderstanding the architecture here, and it's worth clarifying.

It sounds like Jira was absolutely fine. 

Nginx is NOT Jira, it is a web-server.  It is probably being used as a proxy to Jira in your case, so it's part of the networking route.  The error message 521 was actually telling you "nginx is not giving me a connection".

br1984 September 27, 2019

Yea... hence "server down" was correct.  Yes Jira may have been running correctly but for whatever reason nginx which is a critical part of the package stop auto starting on reboot. This is a by the book installation according to Jira's instructions for CentOS.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2019

Nginx is not "part of the package".  A "by the book" installation does not include setting up a proxy server - it is mentioned as an option and you set up the proxy yourself.  It's nothing to do with Jira, although a lot of us use them.  The Jira I'm about to upgrade is "by the book" installed, but behind an Apache proxy the client wanted to use (and not just for Jira)

You should look at how you have configured your Nginx to start - it's nothing to do with Jira.

Suggest an answer