Jira database and installation on same server

Hi All

Due to resource restrictions, we have been offered to host both jira database(my sql) and the jira installation on the same windows VM.

The only bottleneck I see would be the memory so in case i get a 6GB memory, will it still be a problem?

Please note, we are planning to migrate our production instance on this VM. Our production jira instance currently has over 300 projects, 4000 users and 120,000 issues.

Rahul

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

This should be fine.

Use a 32bit JVM if memory is a concern. Postgres uses less memory if you ask me as InnoDB requires quite a bit more memory to run. It might be worthwhile to tune MySQL.

At most JIRA would run a bit slower.

How much CPU resources do you get allocated there?

If you do not 4GB for the application, do go with a 64bit JVM. The 32bit one stops at 3GB or so.

I'm not sure how you'd check CPU allocation on your particular VM.It depends on the software you use to create the VM. Best to ask the person in charge of managing these VMs. E.g. in VMWare you can allocate any number of virtual CPU to a VM depending on the physical server capabilities.

Hi Harry

How do I check CPU resource allocation? Is it the same as memory?

I am planning to have 4 GB allocated to application and 2 GB for the database.

Rahul

Hi Rahul,

The JIRA documentation recommends having 2GB of ram for a production instance with around 200,000 issues. Read here.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+Requirements#JIRARequirements-JIRAServerHardwareRecommendationforProduction

I feel you should be alright running both JIRA and MySQL on the same system. But well I ain't no expert :)

Even I think so from a memory point of view. But the important aspect is how much CPU power is reserved for this VM?

I would monitor resource usage over a few weeks to understand consumption, and make an objective decision. Just based on the sizing you mention I would suggest you find dedicated servers for each, especially is provisioning VMs is relative cheap/easy.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

130 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you