Jira database and installation on same server

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2013

Hi All

Due to resource restrictions, we have been offered to host both jira database(my sql) and the jira installation on the same windows VM.

The only bottleneck I see would be the memory so in case i get a 6GB memory, will it still be a problem?

Please note, we are planning to migrate our production instance on this VM. Our production jira instance currently has over 300 projects, 4000 users and 120,000 issues.

Rahul

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2013

This should be fine.

Use a 32bit JVM if memory is a concern. Postgres uses less memory if you ask me as InnoDB requires quite a bit more memory to run. It might be worthwhile to tune MySQL.

At most JIRA would run a bit slower.

How much CPU resources do you get allocated there?

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2013

If you do not 4GB for the application, do go with a 64bit JVM. The 32bit one stops at 3GB or so.

I'm not sure how you'd check CPU allocation on your particular VM.It depends on the software you use to create the VM. Best to ask the person in charge of managing these VMs. E.g. in VMWare you can allocate any number of virtual CPU to a VM depending on the physical server capabilities.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2013

Hi Harry

How do I check CPU resource allocation? Is it the same as memory?

I am planning to have 4 GB allocated to application and 2 GB for the database.

Rahul

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2013

I would monitor resource usage over a few weeks to understand consumption, and make an objective decision. Just based on the sizing you mention I would suggest you find dedicated servers for each, especially is provisioning VMs is relative cheap/easy.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2013

Hi Rahul,

The JIRA documentation recommends having 2GB of ram for a production instance with around 200,000 issues. Read here.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+Requirements#JIRARequirements-JIRAServerHardwareRecommendationforProduction

I feel you should be alright running both JIRA and MySQL on the same system. But well I ain't no expert :)

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2013

Even I think so from a memory point of view. But the important aspect is how much CPU power is reserved for this VM?

Suggest an answer