Jira common adopted versions?

Roy Nuriel October 9, 2012

Hi,

We are developing a solution that will integrate to Jira and I wanted to ask if you knows what are the versions that are adopted and what are the percentage of each version. Even non accurate estimations are welcome.

Thanks,

Roy

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2012

That's going to be impossible to tell - Atlassian might be able to give you some numbers based on their licenses but it's not going to tell you what is out there in the wild.

I'm still working with large corporates using Jira 3, having no resource (or in one case, desire) to upgrade. However, I wouldn't bother with coding for anything below 4.3 - people on Jira 3 who haven't the resource to upgrade to 4 also don't have the resource to consider plugins generally.

I say 4.3 rather than 4.x because there was a hefty change to the user handling between 4.2 and 4.3. I'd would strongly consider not bothering to make the effort to code for the old system - lots of work and a quite small user base for it. From experience, most people who are on 4.x are probably on 4.4 - there's a strong tendency for people who can afford to upgrade to jump to the latest version within the major release. On top of that, I've found a lot of stuff that I've taken from below 4.2 and updated for 4.3 or 4.4 seems to work with little or no effort in 5.x

Thanks for your help!

0 votes
Nikola ILO
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2012

Hi,

i can't give you exact numbers, but in our customerbase we see mostly JIRA 4.4.x, 5.0.x and 5.1.x.

If you target enterprises, you probably will want to implement your plugin for JIRA 4.4.x, otherwise targeting 5.0 and 5.1 should be sufficient and most cost effective.

Thanks. Currently we developed a solution for 5.x versions but I want to make sure that we don't miss the majority of the market .

Suggest an answer