Jira, burndown chart. How do I make it look as below?

alex seol March 11, 2019

Hi, Team

I am using 'Jira Software version 7.12.3'.

But the horizontal display value of the 'burndown chart' is strange.

It is displayed as below.

burndown chart 1.png

How do I make it look as below?

burndown chart 2.png

Alex.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2019

Hi Alex,

The time scale looks very strange to me in your first screenshot.  It's almost as if the time scale there is in hours of a single day.  In the screenshot below, you can see that the time scales from Feb 18 - Feb 22, a period of 5 days.

Since this specific report functions off a sprint, it is possible that you created a sprint on the same day as adding all these issues, which would cause that red line to jump right at the very end if no work as been done to any of these issues yet.

However over the course of say 2-5 days, should some of those issues get completed or more issues get added to the sprint, I would expect to see much more in the way of data points here.

Considering you posted this Monday and today is Friday here, I'm interested to see if this has changed at all since then.

Please let me know.

Andy

alex seol March 18, 2019

Hi Andy

Thank you for your attention.

However, 'burndown chart' did not change at all. Below is an image of Capture 'burndown chart'.

1.png

Can not change the horizontal row value of the 'burndown chart'?

Below is the 'sprint board screen'. There are clearly finished issues.

2.png

However, it is not displayed in the 'burndown chart'.

I changed the red part below to various values. However, the 'burndown chart' has not changed.

3.png

I am looking at documents related to the 'burndown chart'. But I really do not know. Waiting for your help.
Cheers
Alex.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2019

Alex,

I think what has happened here is that after the sprint has been started, that some large estimate was added to an issue in the sprint or additional large estimated items were added to the sprint.   In my own system I tested this against an open sprint.  I went into the active sprint and changed the estimate value for one issue from 3 to 300.  The field warned me before doing this that it would result in a scope change.

If you return to the report, it does document that below the graph as such:

burndown11.png

I think this is what you are seeing, something was changed during the active sprint in regards to an estimation increase.

Like FlorinB likes this
alex seol March 19, 2019

Hi, Andy.

Thank you for your help.

Your descriptions is ....  "Since I started 'sprint', because I changed the 'estimate value'"

that's right?

If so, how can I see a normal 'burndown chart'?

Reduce 'estimate value'?

PS: I should not modify the 'estimate' after the sprint starts.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
March 20, 2019

Changing an estimate after the sprint has started will cause a scope change.  It is not an ideal thing to have happen when trying to understand if you are on target to complete your work on time, because it does just this: It greatly skews the graph to adjust for the change in work.

Once those large estimation issues get work logged against them, or they get resolved and closed out, you should start to see the graph in a descending line (provided no other scope changes happen). 

alex seol March 20, 2019

Hi, Andy.

How I do I can see the "burndown chart" in descending order?

Click 'report menu' and what should I do?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
March 21, 2019

There is nothing you can do from the report page itself to effect this.  Instead you are going to need to resolve the issues in that sprint in order to make that red line start to drop down in the report.

alex seol March 21, 2019

Hi, Andy.

"you are going to need to resolve the issues in that sprint ... ."  What does this sentence mean?

Is it an explanation that all of them should be treated as "DONE" in Sprint?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
March 22, 2019

When an issue in that sprint is completed, that red line will move down on the graph.  But it only moves down as far as the estimated time was for that issue.  The red line can also move down when time is logged against an issue and in turn the remaining estimate of time is also lowered as a result.

So yes, resolving all the issues in that sprint will drop the red line all the way to the bottom.  However I don't expect all those issues to be resolved all at once.   Instead, if you are still wanting your graph to look like the example, the expectation would be to resolve a few issues at a time.  Maybe 1 or 2 a day over the course of the entire sprint length, presuming you are using a 2 week sprint interval, and your sprint has say about 30 or less issues in it.

What I don't know about your environment here is what the estimates are for those issues. If all your issues have relatively similar estimates, then resolving a few at a time will give you a relatively similar graph to the sample.  

However if you have one issue in the sprint with a much larger estimate than the others, only logging time against the issue will slowly reduce the red line.  If that is the case here, you might not be able to make your graph look like the sample just because when this issue is resolved, it could drop the red line straight down when resolved, just as it appears to have done when the scope changed happened.

alex seol March 24, 2019

Hi, Andy.

I have completed a number of issues with your guidelines.

Result, The burndown chart has changed slightly.

Vertical red line length is slightly shorter.

2.png

Time has passed. So I will summarize:

"Do not modify the estimate after the start of the sprint."

Last question.

How do I change the values displayed on each X, Y axis?

For example, let me know how to change the 'Y' axis values, which are represented by 'time', to 'date'.

Thank you.

Alex.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
March 26, 2019

Hi Alex,

There is something else wrong here that I could not see until your most recent screenshot.  The bottom axis is for time on that graph.  However your values are not consistent in that graph.   They should only progress in a forward manner as the line moves from left to right.  However your dates appear to start with April 29, then go to April 27 and 28, before going to back to April 27th.  

Unless this sprint has been set to run for multiple years, which would be an extreme interval to run a sprint, I think there might be something else wrong here in regards to the way that Jira is currently setup to use dates in your system.   If my suspicion is correct this could cause the problems you have been seeing in regards to way this graph is trying to chart this data.

Please go to the Cog Icon -> System -> Advanced Settings.  Please take a screenshot of your date/time settings here like this one.

datesettings1.png

I am interested to learn if perhaps these values have been adjusted for your region or locale which in turn might be a factor in the way these kinds of graphs are rendered in your environment.

Thanks

Andy

alex seol March 27, 2019

Hi, Andy.

We have changed the following to match the date display to 'region locale'.  YYYY/MMM/dd (below) 

3.png4.png5.png

Is there a problem?

Thank you.

Alex.

Like FlorinB likes this
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 1, 2019

Hi Alex,

I recall there being a few reported bugs in regards to the way some reports work in Jira and Jira Software when the system is configured like yours to use a different date format.   One of these is https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-7238 However I'm not certain yet if this is exactly what you are seeing here.

To test this, I would be interested to see if clicking the 'Revert' button for those date settings under the Advanced Settings section and then re-running the reports might help to show that report correctly.   If so, then I think we can safely say that there is a limitation or bug in regards to the way the burndown report works to display this data.   It is possible there are other reports that might not be rendering correctly give your date and date/time settings in Jira right now.

Andy

Like FlorinB likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events