Jira becomes slow after a while

Dnyaneshwar Ramesh Borase April 11, 2018

Hello Team,

We have a widespread problem with Jira. After a while it becomes slow. When we type words in the fields, the letters are displayed in slow motion. If we do a refresh, everything is back to normal. The problem occurs regardless of the browser. I would say that at least 50% of Jira users I know have reported the problem. Some people also told me they don't have the problem but maybe it's just because they refresh more often or they use Jira less intensely.

Please let us know what is the reason behind this??

Thanks!

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2018

This sounds like some form of resource leakage on the browser side.

Do you have any custom javascript?  Can you try a different browser?  Or better, a browser in "safe mode", with add-ons disabled?

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2018

I've heard that this can happen when there are a high number of users accessing a single Jira Cloud instance. Dnyaeshwar, do you know who many people are using Jira when this happens?

Assuming you are using Cloud and have a large number of users you may want to consider moving to Jira Server.

(Source: I'm currently in a training with an Atlassian partner and this came up in class.)

-Scott

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2018

Agree with @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- that this feels more like a browser side issue (pressing keys for a field like comment/summary doesn't contact the server - something like changing assignee though does, as you press a key it's sending an AJAX request to get the right set of users).

If you have a variety of add-ons in Jira, then I'd also suggest going in to safe mode (disables all add-ons) for a period of time and seeing if this helps at all. If it does, start enabling 1 by 1 and seeing if there's an obvious culprit.

Is it happening on a variety of machines  / browsers?

CCM

Dnyaneshwar_Borase April 15, 2018

Hello Team,

Thanks for the reply.

I am using Firefox browser for the accessing JIRA. I tried the same with Google Chrome.

Got a same problem. Also check installed Add-on on JIRA it works properly.

In the description of the issue I said it happens whatever the browser we use.

Please let me know what is the cause behind this? Please provide solution to eliminate this

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2018

All of the times I've seen this behaviour in Jira, it's been the browser that is slow.

The cause is something the browser is doing, but that does not mean it;s just the browser.  If the server has handed it javascript which slows it, the cause is something on the server.  But it's still the browser that is struggling.

The things I've seen that cause this include:

• Low power on the client machine
  • Add-ons in the browser that interfere with form entry
  • Add-ons in Jira that deliver slow javascript
  • Internet Explorer
  • Poor network connectivity
  • Badly configure advert blocking software

In your case, I'd want to check the add-ons and networking

Suggest an answer