Jira automation rule to consolidate comments from task to epic

Mohit Jain May 1, 2024

Hi all

Hope you all are doing well.

Currently we are creating a new EPIC via automation rule when there is a new sub task created on on other jira board having some keyword. And the again using automation rule we are creating multiple task under EPIC which assigned to different user.

Now, we are trying to consolidate any changes made in description of those child task to EPIC and the to that sub task on other board. But while trying so we got issue that description section is text and when automation runs it will override the comment pasted instead of sumup.

Is there any way we can consolidate all the comments from task linked to Epic on sub task on other board.

We also thinking of another solution by which we can use automation rule to some how print those task and attached to sub task on other board.

Prompt response is highly appreciated..

Regards

Mohit Jain 

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2024

Hi @Mohit Jain 

Would you please describe the problem you are trying to solve by doing these actions?  That is, "why do this"?  Knowing that may help the community to offer better alternatives than copying text across multiple different issues.

Until we know that information...

When editing a field such as Description with an automation rule, the existing content may be added to by referencing the smart value in the field edit.  For example:

{{issue.description}}

Here is some new text in the field.

Kind regards,
Bill

Mohit Jain May 2, 2024

Hi @Bill Sheboy I am trying to consolidate all the changes made on description in multiple child task to a parent epic..

But here is catch that multiple task assigned to multiple user...so it should not override the changes of description flown to epic...

So we are  think as an alternative if someone how we capture those description changes on chils task as a comments or any other solution by which we can consolidate those changes

Hope I am able to explain my requirements...

Regards

Mohit 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2024

In that case, I recommend using Comments rather than changing the Description field.

As each comment is added to a Task, branch to the parent Epic and add the same comment.

Mohit Jain May 3, 2024

HI @Bill Sheboy 

As advise I have tried working on copying comments from task to parent epic with below rule:

1. Issue commented: all comments 

2. Issue type equals Task

3. Related issue condition: issue type = EPIC

4. Branch for parents

5. Then add comment on issue : {{triggerissue.comments.last.body}}

My epic having multiple task linked to it...this rule is only working for last task...if we are adding any comments on other tasks it is not moving to parent epic.

Please guide for any quick solution, we want all new comments to move to parent epic irrespective of the position or number of task.

Regards

Mohit Jain

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2024

If the Tasks are in fact children of the Epic, that rule should work.  Have you confirmed the Tasks have the same Epic as their parent?

If it does not work for a specific Task, please post:

• an image of your complete automation rule (in one image) and
  • an image of the audit log details showing the rule execution. 

Those will provide context to explain what you observe.

Suggest an answer