Jira automation does not detect issue state transition which is performed by another automation.

Jeffrey Chang May 23, 2023

I have a task A which preceeds a custom issue B when then preceeds another custom issue C.
Task A --(preceed)--> custome issue B --(preceed)--> custom issue C

And I have two automations.

Automation 1: 

1.1. when a task changes to Done

1.2. check the custom issue which is preceeded by the task

1.3. if all tasks which preceed the custome issue (found in 1.2) are all Done, move the custom issue to Done

Automation 2:
2.1. when a custom issue changes to Done

2.2. check the custom issue which is preceeded by the task

2.3. if all tasks or custom issues which preceeds the custom issue (found in 2.2.) are all Done, move the custom issue to Done

Problem:

I change task A to done, automation 1 kicks in and changes custom issue B to Done automatically, however custom issue C is not changed to Done automatically. The automation 2 does not detect the custom issue state transition performed by automation 1.

However if I manually change custom issue B to Done, automation 2 kicks in and changes custom issue C to Done automatically. This proves that automation 2 set up is correct.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2023

Hi Jeffrey - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

For automation 2, have you checked the box in the rule Details for Allow rule trigger? If it is not checked, then automation 2 will not fire based on automation 1 firing and doing something. 

Jeffrey Chang May 26, 2023

Thanks for the answer. After checking the allow rule trigger, it works fine now.

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2023

Great! Glad you got it working. 

Suggest an answer