Jira automation - Parent Issue with open child AND resolution as Won't Do

Troy May 14, 2024

@Bill Sheboy tagging you as you recently helped me with Solved: Jira automation - Parent Issue with open sub-tasks... (atlassian.com) and this is a related issue :)

Please refer workflow screenshot below, so basically this time - when I mark the parent issue as Done with resolution as either Won't Do or Duplicate and there are child issues in not Done status then it will move them to Done with resolution as Won't Do.

I have Epic A with child issues Story X & Story Y. Story X has 2 open sub-tasks and same for Y. When I am marking Epic A as Done with resolution Won't Do the rule is also transitioning the 2 linked Stories to Done with resolution Won't Do - which is fine and what I expect.

However, the open sub-tasks linked to the 2 stories stay in their original status, what do I need to add to the workflow please so that those get updated as Done as well with resolution Won't Do?

image.png

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2024

Hi @Troy

Because automation rules can't have more than two "levels", you need a second rule to transition your subtasks. I would suggest something like this:

SCR-20240514-rsnh.png

The flag marked with the red arrow in the screenshot is important, as this allows the rule to be triggered from your other rule.

Hope this helps!

Troy May 14, 2024

Working like a charm now, many thanks @Michel Neeser 😊

Troy May 19, 2024

Hi @Michel Neeser hope you doing well. I will need your help to further adjust my automation rule, so at the moment even if my Epic has got some stories which were earlier marked as Done with resolution Done, the rule is not respecting that and changing resolution of those to Won't Do. How can I have the rule only process the current open children and not touch the earlier closed ones?

Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2024

@Troy You can add an additional condition to your rule to ensure that issues will only be transitioned to Done if they are not already in status Done. This should solve your problem:

SCR-20240520-kjql.png

Like Troy likes this
Troy May 20, 2024

@Michel Neeser perfect! that did the job, thanks a lot.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events