Jira: allow customers access to only their issues

charlie brown July 31, 2014

We are wanting to only allow our customers access to issues that they create, while allowing our employees access to all issues. What is the best approach to to achieve our goals?

Thank you.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2014
In the permission scheme grant create issue permission to customers group and browse issue to reporter
charlie brown July 31, 2014

Hi Alexey, I was able to set the create issue permission however, I cannot locate the "browse issue" permission. Can you please tell me where I can locate that permission?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2014

browse project permission

charlie brown August 1, 2014

My customer still sees all issues created and can see issues in other projects.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2014

1. You should put your customer inside one new group, and remove that group from any permission scheme but the permission scheme of needed project. Inside that scheme you should grant create permission to your customer group. Remove the customer from all other groups (now he cannot login into system)

2. Add this customer group into use jira global permissions: see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions

3. Add reporter to browse project permission into permission scheme of target project.

If you do those 3 steps - you will have 1 customer, one group called customers, customer will be able to login to jira, see the list of projects without issues, create issue inside projects he is allowed to create ones and see own issues.

Like Deleted user likes this

Alexey, Thank you so very much! That is exactly what we were looking to achieve. :)

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2014

Np) I am glad that your problem was solved

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2014

I am sorry, but this is completely incorrect.

If you give the "reporter" the right to browse a project, then they will see ALL the issues in that project. Including ALL the ones someone else reported.

My test customer only sees the issue he created and no other issues. There is another issue in the project that was NOT created by the customer. It looks like it is working but we will test it out thouroughly.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2014

Nic, sorry, but you are wrong. I've just tried the scenario on my home dev installation of jira - and it works. I can see only 1 issue I created with customer login, and project contains 27 issues. If you give the reporter permission to browse project - all users will see that project exist but will not see any issue in it.

Edit: Customer reporter browse permission is needed if you want to disallow user to see that project exist if he cannot be reporter here.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2014

Nope. Wrong. I just tested it myself. A user granted access by "reporter" sees all issues.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Current+Reporter+Browse+Project+Permission

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2014

My apologies, I was wrong. I keep looking at custom fields on complex Jiras and getting myself knotted up in them.

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2014

Why not use Issue Security Schemes instead? To control who will see what within the project?

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2014

If you have >10 customers or one customer generates just 3-5 issues security schemes can hardly be applicable. Also when customer creates issue - he doesn't want to understand what is security scheme and what should he put inside the security level field.

Like Deleted user likes this
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2014

Yes that makes sense.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2014

Can you divide your customers into separate projects?

If not, then you can't do this off-the-shelf. Adding just "Browse: Reporter" to permissions will enable ALL users who can create an issue in the project to see ALL the issues in that project.

If you can't split it up by project, then you need "Current reporter browse" permission enabled. Then poeple can create issues in one project, and not see anyone else's issues

(Oh, on the easy part - letting your developers in, that's simple - use "role: developers" in the permission scheme and then put the right developers into the role in the projects they need to work on)

Hi Nic, Unfortunately we cannot seperate the customers into a separate project. Do we have to do something special to be able to find and enable the "current reporter browse"? We are on JIRA 6.4

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2014

If you are on 6.4 then I suspect you are on Jira OnDemand. I do not believe you can enable "current reporter browse" there.

Suggest an answer