Jira - all priorities changed

Michał Wesołowski March 18, 2019

Hi,

We have a very odd situation. Users reported to us that all priorities has changed to the new value - "highest". I am no aware of any changes being made that could have impact on that situation.

• there is no default value in priority schemes
  • the is no history change in the issue history
  • we can't see in logs anything connected to priority change 

Did any of you have simillar situation? Can plugin make such a change?

2 answers

0 votes
Michał Wesołowski March 19, 2019

I manage to determine that one of our admins made some change. He wanted to leave just some priorities for one project (e.g. he wanted to delete names: Highest, High, Medium, etc), but by accident he made a change in default priority scheme. He immedately realized his mistake and cancled the change, yet it seems like this influenced part of projects using this scheme. 

It is weird, as he wanted to delete the "Highest" priority, but this is the only significant change that happened that day. So I assume this is the reason. 

If some of you have some clue how this could influence the situation, I would appreciate. Other than that, I guess we found the cause. 

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2019

Hello,

Maybe someone changed the old name for the priority to the new one Highest?

Michał Wesołowski March 18, 2019

Doesn't seem so.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2019

What you're describing is what I would expect to see if one of your admins renamed a priority.  The name is a display label, not the actual value, hence there's no changes in the issue history.

If you have admin auditing enabled, the rename should show in there, along with who did it, but if it was not enabled when the change happened, it won't have captured the data.

It might be indirect too - some Apps (not many) make changes or additions to global settings when installed (as an example one of the Gantt chart Apps adds link types it needs for doing dependencies), so an admin installing a new App may inadvertently cause a change too.  However, I can't think of any Apps that mess with priorities.

Suggest an answer