Jira administrator unable to update a user's email address

Sergio Seplovich April 6, 2018

I imported projects using the CSV import function in Jira and I mapped user's email addresses with format "firstname initial of last name@mydomain.com" (without a space in between). 

The system created email addresses with this format "initial of first name last name@mydomain.com" (without a space in between). 

As the administrator in the Jira account, I am trying to edit the user's profile to update the email address but the field does not allow updates. 

I did not realize this until after I connected Jira with Stride and added the users (with the wrong email address) to this app.

Two issues: 1) how do I update the wrong email address to replace the one the import automatically created with the correct one? 2) how to I all the connected apps such as Stride and Confluence?

Your help is truly appreciated!

2 answers

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2018

@Sergio Seplovich You need to let us know - how are your users managed ? Do you use an external user management system ? Are user id created and synced via an active directory . or have you always created users inside jira or say invited them.

Greg Henderson July 12, 2019

I am a site admin and we have JIRA Cloud. However, when I try to change my email it simply say: 

Managed account

Your account is managed.
Contact your administrator to change your email address.

Since I am an administrator, i do not know what to do?

-Greg

0 votes
LeKisha Boswell April 6, 2018

If it's a managed account you can edit the details. Unmanaged accounts will have to be deleted and then added as the user will not have access to do it themselves.

If it's an managed account simply login into Administration, select your organizations name then edit the account. Otherwise, you will need to delete the accounts with the inaccurate information and then do a second import.  "

Never delete users that have activity within JIRA or Confleuce to maintain clear historical data, instead, deactivate their accounts. It appears in your case you are still implementing so the delete option is best. 

Sergio Seplovich April 6, 2018

Can you please clarify what is a "Managed Account" and what is the difference with an "unmanaged account"??? I followed your directions but there are no "managed accounts" in my configuration. 

If I delete all my users, the test data I imported will no longer have an association with the assignee, the fixer, etc. correct??? 

Your help is appreciated!

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2018

Assuming you are using Jira Cloud here, since you mentioned Stride.

There's info about managed accounts here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/organization-administration-938859734.html

Basically:

• you need to create an organisation and verify you own the associated domain/s
  • once you have verified a domain, all Atlassian accounts using the email address with the verified domain become managed accounts. 
  • On managed accounts, admin can change email address

For non-managed accounts, the user owns their account, so can update email address themselves.

Suggest an answer