Jira access problem, blank screen after upgrade

Hi.

I've just upgraded from the latest JIRA 6 to the latest JIRA 6 and the application is no longer working. Initially when I opened JIRA after upgrade it was initializing but then went to a blank page - http://jira:8080/secure/errors.jsp with "JIRA access problem" in the browser title bar.

Can someone help me getting my instance back up and running. Thanks.

3 answers

Sure, we´ll try, but to help you we need more information.

What does the log say?

No problem, where can I find the log?

thanks

https://ufile.io/fcvl9

does this help?thanks

java.net.UnknownHostException: This is usually a temporary error during hostname resolution and means that the local server did not receive a response from an authoritative server

Do you have DNS problems or references to a server name that is no longer existing?

Are you using the standard server.xml or have you re-used that?

If you have re-used it, then apply the original server.xml and make changes accordingly instead of copying it raw.

There are references to .stg which makes me believe this is a test upgrade?

If so, then its probably a good thing that it won´t start.

\\LeopardFS\Intranet\Live_System\Jira_Home looks more like a production name..

0 votes

The logs show that you were already running 6.4.14, but that all the startup attempts of this log appear to be trying to start the latest 7.5.2.   You can't upgrade Jira this far in a single upgrade.   There were simply too many changes in the 7.0.x line to be able to properly handler an upgrade of this magnitude. Skipping major versions when upgrading JIRA applications - Atlassian Documentation further notes the need to go to a 7.0.x version first.

Also the Upgrade JIRA 7.2 - JIRA Knowledge Base - Atlassian Documentation explains the steps you can follow to upgrade this older Jira instance.  It's very important that you also upgrade your plugins for Jira on that version (7.0.x) before you go any further.   There are a number of other considerations on that page that are helpful to understand the proper steps to upgrade.

For your immediate recovery, I would recommend the steps in Rollback a Jira upgrade in order to revert this upgrade attempt.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,782 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot