Jira/Zephyr question - Can tests be shared between projects?

Paul French May 5, 2017

I'd like some advice on whether or not tests using Zephyr can be shared between projects?

In my company different "projects" use similar programs and so if project A creates a program or changes, then project B may take this and then add further, so in Project B I'd like to take certain tests from A as regression tests then add new ones to it. It doesn't look like I can do this?

This would be my preference but perhaps I need to look more at how things are categorised as "projects" (e.g. the overall system becomes a project, then somehow categorise the things we call projects now in a different way (e.g. custom fields - though what I'd like to be able to do is obviously provide status against a project in terms of completion of the linked tasks and defects etc). 

I'm still only piloting this yet and not made the decision whether to proceed with using JIRA, and this is a pertinent point for me.

3 answers

1 vote
Zak Leaf May 9, 2017

Hi Paul,

You can change the project a test is assigned to by editing it, and under the "Test type" clicking 'move issue'. This gives you the option to move the test to a new project or change the type (e.g. from a test to a defect/issue/risk etc.).

You can also clone tests through the option menu ("..." button) in the top-right, if you wanted to keep the originals assigned to project A then move the clones to project B. I believe this change can be done via a mass update (which you need admin privileges to do) if you wanted to bulk update them in one go.

Paul French May 31, 2017

Hi Zak, A belated reply to you (have only just noticed there was responses to this thread).  Thanks for getting back and I'll try this asap.  This will actually be really helpful for us.

The alternative I was going for was that we have the main programs as projects for testing, but the development tasks to make changes stored under the individual projects.

I'll have a play with both and see what works best

0 votes
Paul French May 31, 2017

Removed

0 votes
Arun Ravindran May 10, 2017

Thanks Zak for replying to Paul's query

Hi Paul

As Zak suggested , you can move the issue or test from one project to another

Thanks

ZephyrSupport

Tony May 31, 2017

Arun - are you please able to help me with your ticket no. #21676, as, I am getting delayed responses from Zephyr support.

Thanks 

Suggest an answer