Jira - XRAY - Use folders in Test Execution

Driss March 27, 2023

Hello Jira/XRAY community :)

We just started to use XRAY and we are facing an issue.
We used to use Testrail and something we had doesn't seem to exist on XRAY :

When running a test campaign, it seems that, in XRAY Test Execution item, when I import my tests from the test library, the result is a "flat" list of tests which make the campaign content very hard to read and run. We have many tests and it is diplayed as a long list of tests which dosent' seem to be organized.
It is really hard for us to use it this way because we can't have an any overview like for example check which functionnal scope isn't tested yet, or task sharing etc...

Do you have any recommandation to provide in order to keep some kind of "folder display" within the Test Execution ? Or maybe a different way to run campaign making us able to keep an overview and/or a clear view of the scope/folder in this item?

Thank you !

5 answers

1 vote
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2023

Hi @Driss and welcome to the community,

Xray provides a comprehensive documentation about importing test cases, https://docs.getxray.app/display/XRAYCLOUD/Importing+Tests+using+Test+Case+Importer, in which it uses the Component field and the Test Sets field to organize them. You can read more on the link I provided as well as here https://docs.getxray.app/display/XRAYCLOUD/Organizing+Tests

0 votes
Anton Nekrassov January 31, 2024

hello, are there any plans to implement this?

0 votes
mallan October 29, 2023

100% agree with Molly. Can we please have a response?

0 votes
PaulS May 9, 2023

Hello, we're in the same boat...

We organize over 500+ test cases in the repo using folder view but when it comes to an execution, it only displays in flat view.

Yes, we can filter out using Test Sets and/or Labels but our sub-sections (folders) of tests are still numerous and are still very hard to work with in a flat view execution.

Is there anyway to display an execution in folder view? Any future plans for it?

Thanks,

Paul

0 votes
Molly King April 11, 2023

I also agree that using folders in the Test Execution would be beneficial. We use Test Repository to organize our tests into various folders, which works great for Test Plans because it gives us the option to copy the folder structure, but when we create a Test Execution, it does not give us that option. Right now, our only option would be to use Test Repository + Test Set together, which we don't really want to do because when adding new test cases, we'd have to organize them in two different places.

Suggest an answer