Jira Workflow Toolbox - Create Subtask - Initial Try outs

KRC March 14, 2018

Hi 

We are evaluating JWT add on. We want to create subtask when a parent is created. We want to use post function on create transition on parent. We want to create 6 subtasks with due date in and a cascading field(for each subtask due date will be same but cascading filed parent and child will change) either we want to use one post function to set 6 subtasks or 6 post functions for 6 subtasks.

we tried setting cascading field and due date by SET Fields. and no luck. can anyone guide how to set these two fields?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 15, 2018

Hi @KRC,

you're able to include everything in just one post function.

I'll provide you with an example with 3 subtasks - but you can easily alter that to 6.

My cascading select list options look like this:

cf_cascading.PNG

In your Create issues and subtasks post function you have to enter the following configuration:

• Issues to be created: Multiple issues based on Math Expression followed by the number of subtasks you want to create (in my example I entered 3)
  • Issue Type: Your subtask issue type
  • Parent Issue: Current Issue

In the fields which follow you can use this expression to point to your subtasks:

getMatchingValue(^, [1,2,3], ["Option for subtask #1", "Option for subtask #2", "Option for subtask #3"])

To set a cascading select list you have to provide the field value in this format:

"ParentOption,ChildOption" // the comma is important

In my example the configuration for my field named CF Select List (cascading) looked like this:

getMatchingValue(^, [1,2,3], ["Level 1A,Level 2A", "Level 1A,Level 2B", "Level 1B,"])

Together with a dynamic summary configured the same way, the result after creating my issue named Subtask Testing then looks like this:

result.PNGIs your due date a fix value or do you want to push the date entered within the parent issue?

Cheers,

Thorsten

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 15, 2018

Just to be sure: if you want to create 6 issues, your expression should look like this of course:

getMatchingValue(^, [1,2,3,4,5,6], ["Option for subtask #1", etc.])
KRC March 15, 2018

@Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_ Due date is a fixed value. Will try your suggested example and let you know. Thank you for the reply.

KRC March 15, 2018

In your example, where do you set cascading field something like %{1234}

KRC March 15, 2018

I have a parse error, please see attached screenshots. 1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

Marketplace Partner
March 17, 2018

Hi @KRC,

please enter 6 into your Math expression box at the top, since Issues to be created controls the amount of issues you're going to create.

I suppose your expression should set the issues' summary, so please add this to the correct field and use the Advanced parsing mode.

Cheers,
Thorsten

KRC March 19, 2018

Hi @Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_

I guess am not able to see what you want me to see.

Can you please elaborate this with a screenshot?

please enter 6 into your Math expression box at the top, since Issues to be created controls the amount of issues you're going to create.

Thanks

Marketplace Partner
April 5, 2018

Hi @KRC,

please see the screenshot attached:

issue_seed_mathematical_6.PNG

Best regards,

Thorsten

KRC April 5, 2018

Cool and i will try adding my cascading in Field To be set by selecting the field and parsed text (advanced mode). Will let you know how it goes,

Thanks

0 votes
Abinash Satapathy August 24, 2018

Hello Thorsten Letschert  ,

I want to fill Due date automatically based on a rule.

For ex: If Issue is created in the Month of August then Due Date will be 3rd Of Next Month i.e 3rd September.

In general Due date should be 3rd of Next Month

Can it be achieved ?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Abinash

Marketplace Partner
September 7, 2018

Hi @Abinash Satapathy,

this is possible with the help of JWT as well. However, would you mind opening a new question since this is clearly a quite different topic?

Cheers,
Thorsten

Abinash Satapathy September 7, 2018

Hi @Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_ ,

Thanks for answering back .

I have figured out way to achieve my goal .

Thanks to JWT  add on . :) 

Cheers and Regards,
Abinash

Floyd Goodell June 26, 2019

Hello @Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_ Thank you for this thread it was incredibly useful.

Is there a way to insert the parent issue number into the sub task summary?

Using your example above the end goal would be something like "App 26 Summary 1, App 26 Summary 2, etc"

Or even better include the Summary of the parent issue, Subtask Testing Summary 1 for example.

I wanted to try to make it a little more clear for my users what the parent issue was for the subtask they had assigned to them in an email notification.

Marketplace Partner
June 28, 2019

Hi @Floyd Goodell ,

Actually you can do this within Jira Workflow Toolbox very easily since we're providing direct access to so called Virtual Fields, e.g.

• Parent's issue key - %{00041}
  • Parent's summary - %{00029}

You can use those field codes when creating your subtasks to include, e.g. append, those to your subtasks' summary.

Cheers
Thorsten

Floyd Goodell June 28, 2019

Thank you @Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_ I hate to ask what I am sure is a silly question but I can't quite get the example to work with the syntax.. where would I place the %{00041} in the example below?

getMatchingValue(^, [1,2], ["Info Sec Review", "Accessibility Review"])

Marketplace Partner
July 1, 2019

Hi @Floyd Goodell ,

First of all there are no silly questions.

Since we're running this post function within the parent issue, we'll have to use %{00015} instead - my bad. A valid expression might look like this:

getMatchingValue(^, [1,2], ["Info Sec Review", "Accessibility Review"]) + " (" + %{00015} + ")"

With this configuration, the current issue key would be placed within brackets after the summary you've provided:

jwt_key-to-summary.PNG

See https://apps.decadis.net/display/JWT/Examples+of+String+expressions#ExamplesofStringexpressions-TextCompositionandFormat for more examples to compose custom strings.

Cheers
Thorsten

Floyd Goodell July 1, 2019

@Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_Thank you very much. That is amazing.  I really appreciate it.

0 votes
Abinash Satapathy August 14, 2018

Hello @Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_ ,

Thanks for the Solution.

I have one query.

If you need to assign  above created sub tasks ( let's say 3 sub tasks to 3 different users automatically ) then How to achieve that .

Thanks in Advance.

Abinash

Marketplace Partner
August 16, 2018

Hi @Abinash Satapathy,

just add the Assignee field in the Set Fields section and configure as follows:

Value type: Parsed text (advanced mode)

Text to be parsed:

getMatchingValue(^,[1,2,3],["userNameAssignee1","userNameAssignee2","userNameAssignee3"])

Cheers,
Thorsten

Abinash Satapathy August 24, 2018

Thanks a lot  :)

Suggest an answer