Jira Software 7 Start - Java Check Version Problem

Daniel Kist December 9, 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to start a new JIRA 7 Standalone installation but i'm having a few issues with the start-jira.sh.

The script doesn't detect my Java installation.

I'm having this message:

Using CATALINA_BASE: /root/atlassian/jira-software-7.0.4
Using CATALINA_HOME: /root/atlassian/jira-software-7.0.4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /root/atlassian/jira-software-7.0.4/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /usr
Using CLASSPATH: /root/atlassian/jira-software-7.0.4/bin/bootstrap.jar:/root/atlassian/jira-software-7.0.4/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID: /root/atlassian/jira-software-7.0.4/work/catalina.pid
***********************************************************************************************************************
********** Wrong JVM version! You are running with .. but JIRA requires at least 1.8 to run. **********
***********************************************************************************************************************

This is what I receive when I check my Java version:

# java -version

openjdk version "1.8.0_65"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)

2 answers

1 vote
Edmund Craske January 3, 2016

This is because Atlassian/JIRA does not support using any JDK other than the Oracle one, and you are using OpenJDK. You can work around it by editing bin/check-java.sh as per https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-46152 but be aware that you may encounter issues with JIRA not functioning correctly due to differences in the JDK, and Atlassian will not support any issues that you have.

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2015

Check the JAVA_HOME variable in your "setenv.sh" which can be found in the bin directory. Make sure it's pointing to your JDK 1.8

Daniel Kist December 9, 2015

I've checked and is correct. If you look at the result of checking the script, apparently it is not finding any version of the JVM.

Suggest an answer