Jira Server and Slack

harry.lee October 18, 2019

Hi,

I'm trying to use the Jira Server for Slack application found here:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220099/jira-server-for-slack-official?hosting=server&tab=overview

However, when I then proceed to try and connect to my Slack, I get the following error:

My Jira is currently hosted behind an Amazon loadbalancer which I would imagine could be causing this problem.

Does anyone know a fix that doesn't involve just removing the load balance from the equation?  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2019

Hi Harry,

If I understand the problem here, you're trying to integrate Jira on an AWS platform with Slack, but you are getting an error in the process that Jira is unable to access the internet to complete this process.

It could be that the load balancer is a factor here, but that generalized error message likely just means that Jira is unable to make outbound HTTPS connections here.  It needs to be able to that as well as receive them for this slack integration to be possible.  I'm not sure if your environment here is restricting the outbound requests in some way, but if there is an outbound proxy in place, then you would need to follow the steps in Configure an outbound proxy for use in Jira server  for Jira to be able to make those kinds of connections.

If you do not have an outbound proxy, then there could be other networking factors here that could still be preventing the Jira application from being able to reach it's own base URL over the network.   If that happens, then there are other problems that can appear in Jira, such as dashboard gadgets that do not load their titles.  There is a comprehensive KB on the different possible causes for this over in Fix gadget titles showing as __MSG_gadget in Jira server.  If you can observe the same problem in regards to dashboard titles in your instance, then the steps to diagnose and resolve in that KB would be helpful here as well.  However if you do not see this problem you can probably ignore that document.

Try these steps first and let me know the results.

Cheers,

Andy

Suggest an answer