Jira Screen Tabs not showing despite custom fields are filled

Vasil'ev Nickolay March 13, 2019

We have some custom fields on separate screen tabs in Jira. They shown perfectly fine on screen edit view, but they are collapsed in one tab on issue view (as if issue screen had no tabs at all). 

We checked this solution: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/tabs-don-t-show-up-on-view-issue-screen-in-jira-873947916.html. But our custom fields are filled with data, and none of them either of userpicker, either of date type. What might be the cause? 

Jira version: v7.13.0

7 answers

2 votes
Michael Reiff December 3, 2019

I have found the "Solution" in the Atlassian Bugs:

You have to have two Tabs with CustomField and both must have an Value!

If the CustomField of the 1st Tab has no Value, the CustomField of the 2nd Tab is already not shown in "his seperated" Tab.

1 vote
Michael Reiff December 2, 2019

We have the same behaviour with Jira 8.5.1

1 vote
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2019

Do you have 1 Screen for issue view and 1 Screen for issue edit?

Then you have to add the Tabs on boths screens.

In the link you posted, they only say, that date fields, ... will always be shown in the upper right corner, where all Dates are arranged. date fileds and some other Special fields can not be shown in Tabs.

Vasil'ev Nickolay March 18, 2019

We have single screen for issue view and issue edit.
About link. That's why I've mentioned that we're not having date fields only. We're having custom fields in separate tab, such as text fields, checkboxes, radios, etc. 

0 votes
ronin8377 August 11, 2021

Disregard by previous comment.

0 votes
DWedekind May 12, 2021

I have the same issue in Jira Server 8.13.

0 votes
Daniel Alonso March 4, 2021

I have the same issue with a Service Desk Project in Server, Jira 8.13, JSD(4.13)

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2019

Hello Vasil'ev,

How are you?

I understand that all your fields are been collapsed in a single tab when you view the issue, however, once you click to edit it the fields properly display in different tabs. Is that correct?

Can you send us a screenshot of both edit and view screens?

I would check the following steps:

1 - Navigate to your project > Project Settings > Screens > Double check if you have configured the same screen for the view and Edit operation. P.S: Depending on the project template, sometimes two different screens are created for each operation, but with a very similar name and it causes this kind of confusion

2 - Click on your profile picture > Personal Settings > Check if the new issue view lab feature is turned on for you.

If it is, the tabs feature was not implemented on the new issue view yet, so we recommend you to turn it off and keep using the old view

We have a feature request about this behavior here:

- In new Jira Issue View turn "Tabs" into collapsible groupings on side bar

Let us know if this information helps. :)

Vasil'ev Nickolay March 18, 2019

Hello Petterson,

Fine, and you?

First of all, that's correct. 
1 - Double checked, it's the same screen. Screen ids in url address are the same.
2 - I had to mention, we're using server instance, and we have no such preference there. Is this a cloud-only feature by the chance?

I'm attaching screen's tab view, to show the types used on each tab. Fields are filled with data.

Edit: we have other custom fields on "Field Tab", which not fit in the first screenshot.
1.png2.png

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2019

Hello Vasil'ev,

Thank you for your answer.

Actually, the new issue view also applies to server instances, depending on the version you are.

Could you please send us a screenshot of how both edit and view screens are displaying for you? Just hide any confidential data you might have from it.

Also, please specifically tell us the fields that are not displaying as expected and its respective type, so we can properly reproduce it from our side. :)

Vasil'ev Nickolay March 22, 2019

About "new issue view" - what I've meant, that we don't have Personal Settings menu upon Profile Picture at all. If you meant Profile > Preferences, there no such thing as "new issue view tab".

Here we have four fields on separate tab:

• Text Field (multi-line)
  • Text Field (single line)
  • Select List (single choice)
  • Number Field

Issue edit screen:

issueEditScreenSecondTab.pngScreen configuration:issueTestTab.png

Issue view:issueViewScreen.png

Peter Kerrigan November 27, 2019

Hi there, 

I just encountered the same issue that Vasil'ev outlined above. I have configured the screen scheme for my project to use the same screen for create, edit, and view. There are two tabs that should show for each issue operation, but they are only present for create and edit. When viewing the issue, all fields are collapsed into one tab rather than the aforementioned two tabs. Custom fields are populated with data on the tabs.

Has there been any headway made on this problem?

Joseph April 5, 2021

Hi @Vasil'ev Nickolay

We are currently experiencing the same exact thing. We're running on Jira Server 8.5.11 and I have our screens mapped out exactly like you do: one create screen and one edit/view screen.

What I've noticed is that if you have three tabs on the edit/view screen (one for the details of the issue, a second for separate custom fields, and a third for another set of custom fields), the extra tabs will appear once you've added data to both the second and third tab; however, once you remove data from either the second or third tab, the tabs go missing. Are you experiencing that too? 

And @Petter Gonçalves any insight into this? Do you know if Atlassian is aware of this issue and if so, is there a ticket for this?

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 4.40.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-05 at 4.40.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-05 at 4.41.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-05 at 4.41.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-05 at 4.41.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-05 at 4.41.37 PM.png

Suggest an answer