Jira OAuth doesn't work with reverse proxy

Mark Dzulko July 14, 2011

I am using a reverse proxy that is adding X-Forward-For into the headers, but the OAuth doesn't appear to respect this, causing me to not be able to use the proxied URLs between atlassian tools. For instance, my jira and bamboo instances are on different servers and they are 10.0.10.1 and .2 respectively. They have jira.domain.com and bamboo.domain.com as their URLs, thought these are delivered through a reverse proxy (HAProxy in this case). When adding bamboo to Jira OAuth application links, Jira cannot resolve communication to bamboo.domain.com, however it can talk directly to 10.0.10.2:8085. The problem there is that the dashboard gadgets then appear in the directory but don't work because they attempt and return:

An internal server error occurred when requesting resource

https://bamboo.domain.com/rest/api/1.0/currentUser.

I would certainly like to use the proxied URL for the link, but the OAuth simply doesn't want to resolve because it is attempting against the reverse proxy server and not the bamboo server.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Dzulko September 4, 2011

This was related to the fact that the reverse proxy of bamboo using jetty was not handling the Header properly. After moving bamboo to a Tomcat setup and configuring the connector to use the proxy settings, the bamboo instance then could connect to jira and vice versa without issue.

Suggest an answer