Jira - New Issue email notification

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2021

Hi all,

Overview:

• I'm attempting to figure out a way to get an email of all new issues created in my jira project.

Issue:

• By default being the project lead I don't get those emails. ( not sure if that is setting issue) but also would like to specify other users that also get these new issues created emails but not add them as watchers to all tickets.
  • So I used a jira automation to send me an email unfortunately it doesn't have all the pertinent information I need.  Essentially this doesn't help to understand the context of the email.
    • Issue Summary: {{issue.summary}}
      Issue Description: {{issue.description}}
      Assignee: {{issue.assignee.displayName}}
      Returns the issue's reporter: {{issue.reporter.displayName}}

Request:

1. In jira how do I:
    1. get emails of any newly created issues in the format that currently jira send out with confirmations
      1. specify users to who would like to get emails of new issues sent to them also
  2. or at least modify the jira automation with the following values
    1. Summary:
    2. Description 
    3. Assignee
    4. Reporter

1 answer

1 vote
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2021

Hi @Gavin , there are three built-in ways to accomplish what you've asked for: using a filter subscription, modifying the project's notification scheme, or adding an automation (which you tried).

Filter subscriptions are best for regular Jira users.  Instructions for this method are here: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/jql-the-most-flexible-way-to-search-jira-3-of-4

Automations can be created by both project admins and application admins.  (Not sure from your question which you are.)

If you are an application admin, you can also modify the Notification Scheme used by the project.  Visit: Admin > Issues > Notification schemes

The default Jira notification scheme settings automatically notify the following types of users: Current Assignee, Reporter, and All Watchers.  You can add "Project Lead" to that list.

Keep in mind that if the scheme is shared by other projects, any setting changes will impact those projects too.

You could also create a group and add the group to the scheme, to handle your "notify multiple users" requirement.  

Finally, you can also add single users to the scheme, but I don't recommend this.  It's hard to maintain and doesn't scale well.  Groups, roles, and dynamic values are always better than hard coded information.

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

Suggest an answer