Jira Issue View Hierarchy Filing

Courtney Vaden September 22, 2022

Good Morning,

We currently use all task with no subtask instead creating child tickets and parent relationships.   For a while that child tickets were being filed (hidden) inside the parent tickets in the Epic View and that has stopped.  They now stay on the main screen.   Am I missing a setting?    It much cleaner when child tickets file under the parent vs staying in a list.   

1 answer

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2022

Hi @Courtney Vaden 

Which views are you using to view tickets and how are you linking them

Boards provide support for showing Tasks/Stories with epics i.e. you can set swmlanes to be based on Epics.

Tasks belonging to the Epic will the shown below the Epic.

If you are using issue links that you have configured then they will not be recognised by Jira as hierarchical in the way you intend.

If you have premium or access to Roadmaps, you can create your own issue hierarchy within the plan views.

You can also play with JQL options e.g.

project = DEV AND issueLinkType in ("Parent")
Courtney Vaden September 23, 2022

@Tom Lister  Thank you.    I'm still trying to figure it out.   This time I tried pictures because I don't know what the view is called.   He looks at his issues in I guess Epic View and it was moving them out of the epic view master list and filing (hiding) them under the parent.  Then it stopped.  So he has 67 that it filed and then randomly stopped on the last 3 that needed go in there.   I thought it might be the difference between tasks and subtasks but it was filing tasks.    I don't know that I'm still making sense.  He essentially wants to be in this view and have all child tickets filed under the parent.   

CourtneyJira Q 1.PNGJira Q 2.PNGJira Q 3.PNG

Courtney Vaden September 26, 2022

Thank you.  I'll keep pushing him to use his KanBan Board.    He has one  but likes this other view better.   

Suggest an answer