Jira Issue Attachments Automatically Download When Opening Issue

Jack Arndt June 10, 2019

I have some strange behavior affecting one of my users when he opens issues for 2 of our projects.   Is there a setting somewhere to turn this off?

Step to reproduce:

a. User opens jira issue that has attachments on a new chrome browser page.

Expected behavior:  

Jira issue opens on a new page.

Attachments do NOT automatically download to users local machine every time page is opened.  The user can download the attachment only if desired.

Actual behavior:

User opens Jira issue on a new chrome browser page.

Attachments automatically download to users local machine every time page is opened.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2019

Hello Jack,

The actual behavior you mentioned where attachments are being automatically downloaded when accessing JIRA is not configurable in JIRA Application. Basically, it does not exist in the application settings.

That been said, I really believe this problem is being caused by an external source like a plugin or extensions added to the user's browser or by a bug in JIRA application.

Please, ask the user to follow the steps below to better troubleshoot the problem:

1 - Confirm if the downloaded attachments are mp4 videos, as reported in the bug below:

Attaching video in the new issue view via drag and drop cause to be downloaded automatically when accessing the issue

If that's the case, please ask your users to use the Old issue view to upload mp4 videos in JIRA while our developers work to fix the bug. To use the old issue view, your users must click on their profile page at the bottom left corner > Personal Settings > Turn off the New issue view lab feature.

2 - Try to access JIRA using a different browser (Firefox, for example). Also, check if the same problem happens using chrome in incognito mode

3 - Check if the same problem is reproducible using a different desktop

4 - If step 2 or 3 did not reproduce the problem, check if the video below gives you the instructions to fix this setting on Chrome:

How To Disable Automatic Download In Google Chrome

Also, confirm if one of the browser extensions can be causing the problem, by deactivating each of them at time and testing.

Let me know if this information helps.

Jack Arndt June 13, 2019

Thank you!   That did the trick :)

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2019

You are welcome, Jack.

Have a nice weekend!

0 votes
Oskar Wojciski December 10, 2020

This is old issue, but seems that still exists...

Suggest an answer