Jira: How to change asignee after an issue is closed

Chris Chris June 26, 2012

I want to delete a Jira user who is no longer with the team because his username is taking up one of my FishEye licenses. However I can't delete the user when he has assigned issues, even though they are closed.

So I want to change the assignee of those closed issues to another person. Can I do this w/o re-opening the issues (I am looking at about 50 total issues)? Or is there another way I can delete the user

3 answers

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2012

There is a workflow property "jira.issue.editable=false" in the Closed step of standard workflow.

If you remove that property, you will be able to modify the assignee.

You can also reopen, change the assignee and close it back!

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2013

Jobin, this will only allow bulk edits of closed issues in future, not retroactively, correct? How can all previously closed issues be updated easily?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2013

It will help with existing closed issues as well. Not just the future ones.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2013

Don't delete the user, it will mess up your issues. You'll get an sql error in the history. Just move the user out of the jira-user and any other group with logon rights and that should take care of the license issue.

0 votes
Vishali
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2013

Create a single username for all the terminated users 'termuser'

Create a filter with closed issues assigned to the user (who left) and do a bulk Transition of issues to a new status by choosing 'Do not send emails'.

Now bulk edit all the issues and change the assignee to 'termuser' and select 'Do not send emails'

Transition all the issues to closed status.

Suggest an answer