Jira Hipchat Integration - Error on adding Hipchat API key

Andy Ray June 25, 2014

When I add the Hipchat API token I get this Error in Jira:

Error Unexpected character ('<' (code 60)): expected a valid value (number, String, array, object, 'true', 'false' or 'null') at [Source: java.io.StringReader@1ce886a; line: 1, column: 2]

We are hosting hipchat ourselves, and I'm using the api url https://api.hipchat.ourcompany.com

Interestingly, if I use a URL that doesn't exist it tells me it updated successfully

4 answers

0 votes
juergen.schaefer May 7, 2015

same problems (see Alun Coppack) .

I use a 30 Charakter Token, don't know how to generate a 40 Character Token.

0 votes
Alun Coppack October 17, 2014

I'm having the same issue that @Andy Ray describes except I'm using the public hip chat. I've copied a 30 character API token but when I paste it in to the field in JIRA and submit I get the error mentioned:Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 15.36.18.png

I've checked the form submission using browser dev tools and the value submitted matches what I see in the API token generation screen for hip chat. Any ideas?

0 votes
David Maye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2014

Hi Andy,

If you're using HipChat Server, all you need to do is input your FQDN in the base URL field. Example: https://hipchat.ourcompany.com

Also, make sure that your using an API v1 key NOT an API v2 key. An easy way to tell which version your using is the token length:

APIv1 = 30 character token

APIv2 = 40 character token

Lastly, the error message implies that there is a character that isn't supposed to be in the token string. I would double check your API token, FQDN and try again.

Hope this helps! If you continue to have an issue, hit up server-support@hipchat.com.

Cheers,
-David

0 votes
HenriqueA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2014

Hi Andy,

I would suggest you to try this step-by-step:

• Double check your auth key. For APIv2, it should be 40 characters long and sometimes a character can be omitted when are selecting the token to copy and paste (usually first or last).
  • Try and generate a new token and see if that works.

Kind Regards,
Henrique Lechner

Suggest an answer