Jira Email Notifications when a user is tagged in Comment

Kevin van Blerk February 26, 2019

Hi, we are experiencing some odd behavior with Jira email notifications when a user is tagged in a Comment, let me explain;

If I am in Edit mode and have an issue open and I type say the following in the Comment, “This is a test to @Kevin” the email notification from Jira looks like this, note the “mentioned you on” text,

KeVanBlerk mentioned you on PORTAL-15115

This is a test to Kevin van Blerk

However if I merely use the Comment button in the preview pane and type the same message it looks like this, note the “commented on” text,

KeVanBlerk commented on PORTAL-15115

This is a test to Kevin van Blerk

The problem with this difference in behavior is it becomes impossible to set a Outlook rule that does not move the Jira notifications to a folder ‘except’ where I have been tagged. If I am the Assignee or Reporter I get email notifications for every update on the issue, and Jira is very chatty. I want to only see email notifications in my Inbox where I have been tagged, ie. “mentioned you on” appears.

My Outlook rule is,
Apply this rule after the message arrives
With “[JIRA]” in the subject
Move it to the “Jira Notifications” folder
Except if the subject or body contains “mentioned you on”
Stop processing more rules

Is this a bug or by design behavior?

Thank you
Kevin

1 answer

2 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2021

Hi @Kevin van Blerk

Is this about Jira Cloud or Server? Can you please provide a screenshot of where and how you type your comments?

Thanx! 

Kevin September 2, 2021

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_, thank you for asking. It is Jira On-Prem v7.2.4

The issue we have is simply that because Jira is rather 'chatty' we cannot afford to miss email notifications where someone is specifically tagged for attention in a Comment. So what we have done is set up a Outlook Rule that looks like this;

1. Apply this rule after the message arrives
  2. With “[JIRA]” in the subject
  3. Move it to the “Jira Notifications” folder
  4. Except if the subject or body contains “mentioned you on”
  5. Stop processing more rules

But the problem is this;

When adding a Comment to the issue by means of using the [Comment] button as per below;

comment_button.jpg

the email notification looks like this;

image.png

Whereas if I had the same issue open in "Edit" and added a similar Comment like this;

image.png

the email notification looks like this;

image.png

The problem is in these two scenarios the message in the email is different,  ie. "commented on" vs. "mentioned you" and our Outlook Rule does not pick up the notification where it is "commented on" despite that the user has been tagged and hence we miss important notifications. We don't necessary react to mere general Comments but where a user is tagged in a Comment it is important the user sees the notification.

Thank you
Kevin

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2021

I see the problem!

It's strange that Jira isn't sending an additional notification in the first case (when you click comment). What are the settings in your notification scheme, as well as your personal notification settings (if any. I know that there are in the Cloud version).

But aside the above, perhaps I would change the rule. Instead of checking about "mentioned you", I would search your name in Jira, since from the looks of it, it is unique

Kevin Van Blerk  - MWEB

In your screenshot it appears two times, but only because it was you who caused the action. Did you try these two actions you told me with a different user? Are the results the same?

Kevin September 3, 2021

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ I'll see what I can do to modify our mailbox rules to accommodate both these scenarios.

Suggest an answer