Jira Description - Real-time collaborative editing?

Deleted user February 10, 2020

We need collaborative, real-time editing in the Jira description just like Google Docs or Confluence.

Our team collaboratively creates story acceptance criteria. The meeting includes stakeholders and development team members. Oftentimes, during the meeting, the business stakeholder will be typing and a development team member will include a more technical point. These are lost because they can't be captured right away. The Developer needs to remember to go back into the ticket after the discussion and add his point. (They often don't remember.)

3 answers

2 votes
Dean Capp August 31, 2022

What a bad design - we lose so many updates. WHY would you allow parallel updates that does not save one of your updates, but allow it to happen without a simple blocking check in the code?? 

WHY

0 votes
Remi DC February 7, 2024

There are multiple issue open / closed on that subject.
The one with the most vote is : 
Sync issue updates simultaneously  

from Petter Gonçalves

Please votes so we avoid to lose precious times in our life recovering description !!! 

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2020

Hello Melissa,

Thank you for reaching out.

Indeed, Jira does not provide a way to handle the issue updates of two or more persons at the same time and implement both, causing one of the updates to be overwritten in the issue.

We have two feature requests to improve this behavior here:

Notify user when editing a story will overwrite another user's changes 

Implement issue locking 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

As a workaround while we work on the implementation of those feature requests, there is an App that can help you identify the persons that are currently viewing the issue and avoid this kind of problem:

Who's Looking for Jira Cloud 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Deleted user February 12, 2020

Thank you for the response, Petter. The ideas you reference will not solve my issue. Those issues want notification on overwrites and/or prevent multiple edits at the same time. I want the opposite - multiple editing at the same time. So, I think this idea should stand on its own.

I do see where there is value in the ideas referenced. The ideal solution would allow for real-time multiple editing option at the issue level as a toggle. So, the system would generally prevent multiple edits (or lock the issue while there is someone editing) but the user could click a toggle that allows for multiple, synchronous edits.

Like # people like this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2020

Hello Melissa,

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the feature you are looking for.

Indeed, the ability to simultaneously edit issues as we have in Confluence would be the ideal scenario, however, Jira is an application way more complex and we would need to change the way we currently index the changes, which might definitely affect its performance.

That being said, we see the point of your requirement and how useful it would be, so I created the following feature request with your Development team, where they can review it and bring more clarity if that feature could be implemented considering our current architecture:

Sync issue updates simultaneously 

Again, thank you so much for providing such valuable feedback and please make sure to provide these same thoughts in the feature request too, voting and watching it. Additionally, I mentioned this thread in an internal comment to reference this with the feature request and provide our developers more context about your requirement.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Brandon Bowersox-Johnson December 15, 2022

There is also a feature request for Collaborative Editing:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-70324

Please comment there and upvote these important features!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events