Jira Core Install 7.12.1 Hangs on 'Deleting previous directory'

edmacke September 25, 2018

I'm running the 'atlassian-jira-core-7.12.1-x64.exe' to upgrade our Jira installation to 7.12.1. But every time I run it, it gets stuck on the step that says 'Deleting the previous JIRA installation directory...'

• I accept all the defaults for the installation wizard
  • I've shut down the Jira Windows service
  • I've shut down the PostgreSQL Windows service
  • I've run the install program as administrator
  • I've rebooted the machine prior to installation
  • I've ensured that all the directories I know have "Full Control" permissions for my ID

I'm forced to cancel and exit the installer, meaning our Jira service is broken.

Is there a log somewhere that specifies what directory/directories it's attempting to delete, what the problem is, and why it's just hung?

ETA: When I attempt to cancel the install, after confirming "yes, I really want to cancel", the install program then hangs and I'm forced to kill the task in order to cancel the install

image.png

2 answers

0 votes
John December 17, 2019

make sure you close all opening applications include CMD dos window, etc..just leave only Setup Confluence open or Jira setup window open

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2018

Ed,

It sound like something is still accessing the JIRA instance.  Check that no applications are accessing those files during the upgrade process. In Windows, this can be done with the Process Explorer using Find and searching for jira.  Once everything is stopped the upgrade process will be able to complete.  Some additional information can be found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/upgrade-of-jira-fails-due-to-error-while-attempting-to-remove-the-previous-installation-directory-313463494.html

Thanks, Brant. Still no joy, though.

Looking at the Causes listed in the linked URL...

Cause 1. I verified that my ID (which FYI is an administrator) had permissions to "C:\Program Files\Atlassian" (I believe this is the folder it's trying to delete, or a subfolder under it...)

image.png

Cause 2. I verified the JIRA service is stopped. Although the link doesn't mention it, I verified the PostgreSQL service is stopped as well.

image.png

Cause 3. I made sure via Process Explorer that nothing had a lock on anything named JIRA.

image.png

Also, although not specifically mentioned in the linked article, the C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA had some items (1 or more) marked as ReadOnly. I deselected the attribute so that the JIRA folder and all items and subfolders under it were not readonly.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2018

The only other thing I could think of that could possibly be locking it would be IIS.  I am assuming that you are serving it up this way.  You might try turning the site off.  

Couple of follow-up questions if that does not work.  How long are you waiting?  What else is running on the server? Any other applications? How large is the instance? What is the servers resource allocation, CPU, RAM?

The only other thing I could think of that could possibly be locking it would be IIS.  I am assuming that you are serving it up this way.  You might try turning the site off.  

It's actually running under Apache Tomcat. The second screen shot ("Cause 2") is that Apache Tomcat service, which shows that it's been turned off.

Couple of follow-up questions if that does not work.  How long are you waiting?  What else is running on the server? Any other applications? How large is the instance? What is the servers resource allocation, CPU, RAM?

I've waited literally a day to see if it eventually succeeds. There's really nothing else noteworthy running on the machine - it's a pretty isolated server that we've set up specifically to run JIRA. "C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA" and all of its subfolders is ~ 1GB. Currently, the install program is hung, and the server is showing 23% of memory used (3.7 / 16 GB), and around 15% CPU usage (which is mostly Process Explorer).

I'm GUESSING that it's hung because it's trying to delete something that's locked by another process, but a) that's just a guess - maybe it's read-only or permissions or something... and b) I have no idea what its trying to delete.

Is there some type of installation log that might have some clues???

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2018

I can't think of anything else except may JAVA.  Are you on the latest version and is there only one version installed on the server.  Other than that I am out of ideas.  As for logs I am not aware of any but would guess that it generates some.  You should contact Atlassian support as well.  They should be able to provide additional insights.

I think the Java should be up-to-snuff. I'm not sure why that would cause a problem with an install executable, though, unless the .exe was running Java processes.

I'm out of ideas, too. I tried using Process Explorer and Process Monitor to see if I could tell exactly what it was trying to delete, and what the error was, but I couldn't see anything where it was actually attempting to delete a file / folder.

The only "errors" I could see was where it attempted to find Registry entries that didn't exist, but those didn't seem to be showstoppers so I'm assuming they were just informational / optional type things.

I've tried contacting Atlassian support. Their response was "you have the training wheels version so no support for you - go away" :(

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2018

Ed,

Bummer about support.  The only thing I can think of is to do a backup fresh install and restore if you can't get the installer to work.  I would reach out to Atlassian one more time and see if the installer has a log file that it generates.  If it does and they can tell you were that is at you might be able to make some headway.  You might also review the windows server even log and see if it has anything helpful if you did not look at that already.

Suggest an answer