Jira/Confluence access from offsite website

Marthinus Jansen van Vuuren December 19, 2013

Good day all,

I have a the pleasure of creating a direct link from our website to our Jira/Confluence instances.

We are currently running Jira and confluence on one server in separate tomcat containers. I need some guidance on how to access these instances from our offsite (godaddy) website while preserving security and network integrity. After reading through a lot of the how-to articles I would assume that I will have to do this through IIS or Apacahe webserver. But I need assistance with the setup and configuration to make this work and also to minimize the impact on my team.

I thank you in advance for any assistance and advice and most importantly for your precious time.

3 answers

1 vote
Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2013
I would recommend using Varnish over Apache Mod, since it's easier to configure. Even iptables is a very easy solution - See this tutorial: http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-redirecting-network-traffic-to-a-new-ip-using-iptables/ One thing to note, once you've decided on one address and fixed it as the Confluence Baseurl, don't use others. There are a few little bugs when you don't access Confluence through its normative url.
1 vote
Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2013

Hi Marthinus,

Proxying Confluence/JIRA with Apache is rather well-documented. Take a look at this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Using+Apache+with+mod_proxy

0 votes
AafrinA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2014

Hi Marthinus,

In order to Proxying Confluence/JIRA with your Apace, you need the permission to add virtual host in your godaddy account. The permission to modify the virtual hosts often not provided in the shared host environment. Please check with your host if its allowed else you will be required to have at least a VPS with apache running in order to proxify your Confluence/JIRA instance.

Suggest an answer