Jira/Confluence access from offsite website

Good day all,

I have a the pleasure of creating a direct link from our website to our Jira/Confluence instances.

We are currently running Jira and confluence on one server in separate tomcat containers. I need some guidance on how to access these instances from our offsite (godaddy) website while preserving security and network integrity. After reading through a lot of the how-to articles I would assume that I will have to do this through IIS or Apacahe webserver. But I need assistance with the setup and configuration to make this work and also to minimize the impact on my team.

I thank you in advance for any assistance and advice and most importantly for your precious time.

3 answers

Hi Marthinus,

Proxying Confluence/JIRA with Apache is rather well-documented. Take a look at this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Using+Apache+with+mod_proxy

I would recommend using Varnish over Apache Mod, since it's easier to configure. Even iptables is a very easy solution - See this tutorial: http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-redirecting-network-traffic-to-a-new-ip-using-iptables/ One thing to note, once you've decided on one address and fixed it as the Confluence Baseurl, don't use others. There are a few little bugs when you don't access Confluence through its normative url.

Hi Marthinus,

In order to Proxying Confluence/JIRA with your Apace, you need the permission to add virtual host in your godaddy account. The permission to modify the virtual hosts often not provided in the shared host environment. Please check with your host if its allowed else you will be required to have at least a VPS with apache running in order to proxify your Confluence/JIRA instance.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

70 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you