Jira/Confluence Server price increase through the years

license management October 3, 2018

I am trying to motivate our procurement/finace department to renew our licenses a bit longer to save some cash, but don't remember the historical numbers during my 10 years as and administrator. Does anyone remember/have a source for jira/confluence server 500 users standalone pricing the last 5-10 years? Would make it easier to sell the deal to my management.

Kind regards

Jonas Andersson

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 8, 2018

Hi Jonas,

You can see what your organization has paid on past quotes at my.atlassian.com. You can also use Wayback Machine to view previous versions of the Jira pricing pages.

Our customer advocate team is also available at 512-640-3000 option 1 if you'd like to chat with someone!

Cheers,
Daniel

SteveC1 November 2, 2018

The price increases this year are disgraceful... How can a 37.5% increase on Jira maintenance be justified?

Like # people like this
license management November 2, 2018

If they listened to our requests and implemented them automatically once say 100 votes were cast in favor i would totally support that price change. Today however 15 year old limitations (like user adjustable notifications) have been planned, promised, postponed, pushed only to be closed in favor of more generic requests that does not solve the problem at hand. I also wish we could get more for our hard earned cash, and that less resources was used to present new bells and whistles, and instead focused on resolving OLD requests by their current userbase.

Like # people like this
Tony Horton September 2, 2019

I just got our quote for confluence 500 user licence, it was much higher than I remembered, I have not been dealing with the licence for some time.  When I looked at the price increases I was shocked.   

37% is high, try 300% a few years ago!!   Since we started using confuence the cost for yearly maintenance has increased around 500% 

The latest invoice is over $10,000 US (once GST is added)  I suspect questions will start to be asked as to whether it is viable to keep using the product.  I was thinking we may need to increase the licence number, but I don't believe it will fly. 

Tony.confluence_pricing.png

Like # people like this
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2019

You can consider yourself lucky. We just stepped up from 500 to..... 2000 users for Jira/Confluence and all plugins. It hard to explain to execs why our bills are skyrocketing and i can not avoid the "what could we do to save money". ATM it is leaning heavy against a federated (read double) license to be able to offload plugins that only a few use to a second server with a lower user tier. This needless to say means more deployments to baby-sit, more testing instances, more single point of failures, more work and ultimately a less happy Jonas that will do anything to offload work to cheaper tools.  

If anyone from Atlassian is reading this, it makes sense allowing all plugins to be licensed for the amount of users using them. Why we should pay several 2000 user licenses for plugins used by <5 people does not make any sense, and will slingshot many smaller customers into the same solutions we are now investigating.

Like # people like this
Tom Cukar September 3, 2019

Unfortunately, I will have to look elsewhere for a solution. The value proposition is becoming void. I have raised requests asking why this keeps increasing exponentially every year with Atlassian and it has fallen on deaf ears. Literally my request sat for 3 months and nobody responded. Once they saw I caved and paid the bill when I ran out of time, they quietly closed the request. 

These price increases are appearing frivolous and is now raising eyebrows from the bean counters. I can no longer recommend any Atlassian products as they have priced themselves out and caused more work for me. I have never had a vendor be so uncooperative and greedy.

Like # people like this
Chris September 14, 2019

I am here because I was looking at prices evaluating the opportunity to use it in a small team. You used to pay $10/yr up to 10 people.

And as soon you hit 11 people the price make a big jump.

Regarding why the prices are going up this is my take:
- Not a lot of new startups start with Jira. It is seen as a software affected by featuritis. Even if somebody leave a company and want keep using it, it is too expensive now. 
- Even if a startup really want to start with Jira, the income for Atassian would not be that much.
- So under the const pressure to increase profits in the short term to make investors happier, it is easier for Atassian to increase the prices. Large organizations in which all the development cycle is based on Jira will find cheaper paying an increases license price than switching the whole organization to a different product.
- From a business point of view, if you are doubling the prices and the customers keep paying, it means that the product was underpriced. The product is in "cash cow" phase.

In my humble opinion this is unsustainable and may end up kill their goose of the golden eggs trying to make it overproduce. 

Like # people like this
jason swan October 3, 2019

My org is literally a month away from launching new intranet based on Atlassian, having moved on from Sharepoint.  We are now looking at a 50-100% increase in our costs.  Gonna have to re-think launching and evaluate starting over with a different product.

Stefan Baader November 27, 2019

We (company with some thousands of employees) are using 2 Atlassian Confluence licenses (one internally, one externally) since 2006.

The price increase of the last years for self-managed Confluence commercial server product (source: Seibert Media):

August 2016 > an average increase of 15% for Confluence

October 2017 > an average increase of 12% for all Atlassian products

October 2018 > an increase of 15% to 25% for all Server and Cloud products

October 2019 > New licenses on Server will increase between 40% and 320%

In our eyes, it's gonna be a show stopper. We are using SharePoint in parallel too. I guess we really have to rethink if we will still use Conflunece in the next view years.

@AlL:

Any ideas how to migrate from CONF to SharePoint?

maxei January 11, 2020

We have the same problem in CLOUD, It is becoming too expensive for our needs and there is little flexibility.

Like Alex Poliukh likes this
Benjamin Yu May 11, 2021

price increase is way too much: 20 times for new data center. I think most users will abandon jira for other software like Salesforce, Appian, Service Now, which are much more advanced system than jira (for example, AI feature) 

Like Patrick Forssell likes this

Suggest an answer