Jira Cloud - update and disable/enable user accounts via REST API

Rodrigo Cano July 10, 2019

Hello,

I'm developing an app for provisioning users to Jira Cloud via REST API.

I'm using this API documentation to implement the required actions:
https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/?utm_source=%2Fcloud%2Fjira%2Fplatform%2Frest%2F&utm_medium=302#api-rest-api-3-user-get

I was able to create and delete users, but I need to enable/disable user accounts and modify the user account attributes.

I was wondering if its possible to perform those actions ( modify & enable/disable user accounts) in some way for Jira Cloud accounts.

Thank you,
Rodrigo Cano

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2019

Hi Rodrigo,

Currently the ability to disable a user is only available in the UI under user management, however this is coming soon, we are tracking the release at the following link noting the request is currently set to "Waiting for release" and we do not have a ETA on when that will be finalized but it is coming down the pipeline, so make sure to add yourself as a watcher to get an update when the release goes through:

Regards,
Earl

j_zachariah February 25, 2020

Just to mention this is a bit misleading, this feature for the Cloud is still in "Gathering Interest".

I understand that Server is released, but Rodrigo was clearly talking about Cloud. Is there any reason why this isn't being looked at as a core security feature? basic Joiner/Leaver process via an API should be pretty standard in a tool of JIRAs scale.

Like Thomas Kekeisen likes this

Is it not available on cloud now?

nicolas.carrivale May 29, 2020

Hi, I need same. Isn't there any endpoint to hit for this?  Best.

Derek Belrose June 5, 2020

I'm not sure how it makes sense to be able to create a User in the API for Cloud but cannot disable them without them being a managed user.  We cannot have managed users in our setup.

Like Harry likes this
0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2020

Hi there
Thanks for this post ...

We would also like to do something like this to add to our automated processes for staff joining and leaving our employ. I.e. we kick of the process from an internal system that goes on and creates all the accounts and users on platforms we use.

This was last updated in 2017 - is there any new development or changes regarding managing users (create, deactivate or delete) via the API via the Connect App?

Thank you

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2020

Hi there, I posted this about 3 months back ... any update on this from Atlassian please? Thank you

Suggest an answer