Jira Cloud: transition parent when all subtasks are resolved

Marcel Montel May 26, 2016

Is this yet possible in JIRA Cloud?, I can find many old questions but no real answer or solution as of recent. eg

When all subtasks are resolved (e.g Done) then the parent task will move to Done. When i move them manually on the board then i get the popup if i want to move the parent to done after all subtasks are resolved, but our workflow is automated by Jenkins/Ansible/Gitlab so would need an automatic transition for this.

1 answer

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2016

Within JIRA Cloud, this is only currently possible with the add-on Misc Workflow Extensions. That add-on is slated for removal but a better version will replace it and should bring that functionality in full circle.

It would be pretty easy (in my opinion) to use the Webhooks and REST API of JIRA to achieve this yourself with your own hosted script somewhere.

Marcel Montel May 26, 2016

I am using the Misc Workflow Extensions, but i cannot grasp how to configure it so the transition only happens if all subtasks are resolved. I see the option for sub task resolved but not when all subtasks are resolved. Any pointers?
Thanks

Arnold Macauley October 23, 2016

Hi @Marcel Montel,  I stumbled across the solution by accident this evening and remembered this question that you posted from a few months back.  This is now a feature in JIRA Cloud without needing to use the aforementioned add-on.

It may not work for your scenario but as long as you have a transition in your workflow for your the parent item's current status, into the resolved status, e.g. Open -> Done, once all of the subtasks reach the resolved status you will receive a button on your JIRA board asking whether you want to transition the parent to the current sub-task status.

Hope this helps,

Suggest an answer