Jira Cloud for Sheets Epic.Link.Name stop working

David Leal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2022

i was using the field: Epic.Link.Name for getting the name of the epic linked to the stories and it was working until today, but it stopped working. Now it returns empty epic name. The Epic.Link returns the epic key, but the names comes empty.

this is my JQL:

project in (DCK, TGK, DCPB) AND issuetype in (Story) AND fixversion in (Athena)

ORDER BY project ASC, "Epic Link" ASC

this are the list of field:

A Project.key
B Issue Type
C Key
D Summary
E Assignee
F Priority
G Status
H Created
I Updated
J Start date
K Due date
L Fix versions
M Story Points
N Epic Link
O Labels
P Status Category Changed
Q Epic Link.Name
R Program
S Program Increment
T Team

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 9.36.12 PM.png

Do you know if you are having the same problem?

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2022

Hi @David Leal 

I wonder if this symptom is related to the deprecation of some Epic's fields with the move toward "Parent" for all the relationships.  Definitely Epic Name is on that list, and will only use Summary later.  Perhaps this has already started for the REST API which drives Jira Cloud for Sheets.

Some of the changes have defined transition dates and others have not been announced.  Please look here for more details:

https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/deprecation-of-the-epic-link-parent-link-and-other-related-fields-in-rest-apis-and-webhooks/54048

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Rename-epics-in-your-company-managed-projects/ba-p/1874726

Work-around: Perhaps instead try Epic Link.Summary and see if that is working.

Kind regards,
Bill

David Leal
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2022

Thanks to @Bill Sheboy I raised a ticket with Jira Support, they are not able to reproduce the problem, but I showed the technician assigned the issue on my Google Spreadsheet. it seems to be something related to Spreadsheet and Jira Adds-on. It was working before, but now it doesn't. I realized that by moving the field to the end, the information gets populated, but not in the position I initially had it. The technician escalated it to the next level. Thanks for the information provided, I shared the information with Jira Support just in case it is related.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2022

How is your Labels field getting populated into one column in that spreadsheet?

I ask because when data export happens, any of the list fields produce multiple columns in the export result.  For example from your image, at least one of the issues' Labels fields has 3 values, which in an export leads to 3 columns.  This behavior leads to all columns to the right of that column shifting to the right by 2 columns and so could reproduce what you observe.  This is the same for Labels, Sprints, FixVersions, AffectsVersion, Comments, Multiple-Select fields, etc.

Aside: For any of my spreadsheets which contain all export columns, I use a complicated mechanism using formulas to produce a lookup mapping to find a Jira field's offset column by field name, and then use that for analysis.

David Leal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2022

thanks, @Bill Sheboy for Epic.Link.Name field when it worked it created just one column. In my particular case for labels, all of them are concatenated into a single column, but I know that for other fields such as Comment it creates a column per comment entry, but that is not the case.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 1, 2022

That's interesting...I recommend waiting to hear back from support as the behavior seems different for the different fields with multiple possible values.

bwinslow September 13, 2022

The parent field only returns the epic key and not the epic name. It's a bummer. I'm going to write something in g'sheets to convert key to epic name. 

I've not found Atlassian support very useful int the past. 

Suggest an answer