Jira Cloud for Excel Add-in not working - Add-In Error.

Louis Mehr November 19, 2019

Hi,

From the comments on the web, it looks like other people also have the same issue. 

Installing on Office 365 ProPlus.

Why is this failing?  (I've been  running the Google Sheets equivalent and it has been pretty good)

Thanks

/Louis

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Louis Mehr November 19, 2019

excelJira.jpg

Message as screenshot.   

1 vote
Mark Crocker August 12, 2021

I literally just solved it for myself. Atlassian support and MS support couldn't help me. 
I went into File->Options->Trust Center->Trust Center Settings. 

Form-based Sign-In and changed to Ask me what to do for each host. 
And it started working.

Mark Crocker August 16, 2021

Ergh it's back. Didn't work.

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 1, 2022

Sorry to hear none of the companies were able to solve this for you.

Jira Cloud for Excel (being an Excel add-in) relies on MS, unfortunately, and that's a real risk for Jira Cloud users who didn't ask for another dependency.

Jira Cloud for Excel is a built-in feature but given all the issues, it pays to consider all your options for Jira Cloud to Excel exporting.

0 votes
Christian Giacomuzzi March 16, 2022

I resolved adding manually the Add-in in Excel from File>Insert>Add-In>Jira Cloud

0 votes
Mark Crocker August 17, 2021

I'm back and have a workaround, but I think it's something that both Microsoft and Atlassian should look into as it does seem like a bug. You need to have the JIRA for Outlook plug-in as well.

Step 1: Load the plug-in from Web Excel and save the file, then click on the edit in desktop app. This will ensure the plug in will at minimum appear in the ribbon

Step 2: Click on the add-in and receive the error

Step 3: Open Outlook and click on the JIRA for Outlook plugin. Although it may not get to a filter it will give you the login page. 

Step 4: Go back to outlook and reload the JIRA for excel add-in. It should now load for you. 

Vitalii Saienko
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2021

Hi @Mark Crocker 

Could you please let me know what error do you see when you open the Jira Cloud for Excel?

Mark Crocker August 18, 2021

It varies between if I open Excel first and try the plugin: 

ADD-IN ERROR 

The add-in could not be started. Please restart all Office applications and try again.

OR

If I've cleared my add-in cache in the trust centre sometimes it asks me to trust the add-in and when I click it it says from memory that it cannot connect to the app in the store or something like this.

Vitalii Saienko
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2021

If the add-in can't be started, then this is an issue on the Microsoft side, Atlassian does not have any control over this. Could you please reach out to Microsoft support as they might better assist with this problem?

The only suggestion I have is to update your Office to the latest version and see whether it resolves the issue.

Mark Crocker August 18, 2021

Thanks I've done that, both reaching out to their support and updating/re-installing office to the latest. Didn't work. Interestingly they said it was an Atlassian issue as a third party plug in. I believe it is an MS issue but regardless I'm a little disappointed that this really awesome tool, which actually makes Jira a better tool, breaks and there is no direct attempt to resolve these things at a company to company level.

Like Marc likes this
0 votes
Louis Mehr November 22, 2019

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/The-add-in-you-ve-been-waiting-for-Jira-Cloud-for-Excel/ba-p/1210420?utm_source=list&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=corporate_online-community&utm_content=jira-community-newsletter_EML-5497

***IMPORTANT***: If you are trying to install this add-in for Excel Desktop, you must have an Office 365 subscription, as well as be on either:

• version 1904 or later for Windows
  • version 16.24 or later for Mac

To get the latest build, you will need to be on the Monthly Channel. If you are on the semi-annual update channel, you will only be able to use this add-in starting from January 2020.

This add-in is not supported on Office 2016, Office 2019 Pro Plus, or versions of Office 365 before 1904 on Windows or 16.24 on Mac.

Installing this add-in with an unsupported version will show an “Add-in is no longer supported” error.

------------------------------------------------------

I need to update my version of Windows.

/Louis

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 21, 2021

Hey @Louis Mehr !

Did you end up updating your Windows for sake of this Excel export feature? Did it fix your issue or how did it go for you?

Mark Crocker August 12, 2021

I'm currently experiencing an ADD-IN ERROR only for dekstop with this plug-in.
Did a full office re-install and it didn't work. 

Strangely I also am working with JIRA add in for outlook and it's fine as is Teams JIRA connector. So it's just the excel desktop application.

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
August 17, 2021

@Mark Crocker

are your Windows/Office versions within the range of compatible ones?

Mark Crocker August 17, 2021

Yes they are. 

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
October 13, 2021

Hey @Mark Crocker did Microsoft or Atlassian eventually solve your problem with Jira Cloud for Excel?

Suggest an answer