Jira Cloud - How do I remove or clear the Resolution field?

Kyle_Semon August 8, 2019

Jira Cloud - How do I remove or clear the Resolution field?

In my workflow, I have verified the Post-Function is set to update the Resolution field to "None" which should "Clear" the Resolution attribute. However, that is not happening. All of the reports and documentation I have seen regarding this online have all been in regards to Jira Server, not Jira Cloud.

Please advise on how I can clear the resolution field in the case of reopening a previously closed issue.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Although the above are "correct" they don't specifically apply to my failure scenario that I've since resolved. A little bit of an odd bug here... What I noticed is that everytime I reopened my issue, it would land in the "In Progress" state and the Resolution status would persist. However, my workflow defined that he would land in the "Ready" state after being reopened and would CLEAR the Resolution state. Odd, right? Upon further investigation, I noticed that all steps could transition to "In Progress." Although I'm not sure why it would be completely related, I decided to remove that ability and wa-la, once I now "Reopen" an issue, it transitions back into the "Ready" state and does indeed clear the Resolution state.

Not sure why or how it's related, but once cleaned up it resolved my issue(s).

Kyle.

1 vote
Deleted user August 8, 2019

Like Joe said...

If you have the plugin use this on your transition:

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.24.37 PM.png

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2019

You need to take the issue through a transition with a post function that CLEARs the field. 

Resolution is a special field in JIRA. It has an initial value of ‘Unresolved’, which means the field is NULL in the database. It is ALWAYS required when it appears on the screen. ONLY display it on the screen during a transition to the status where you want it set. Once it is set the issue ID will appear with as strikethrough. If you re-open an issue the transition from closed to reopen needs to have a post function to CLEAR the resolution field to set it back to Unresolved.

I said that's what I'm doing, above, and that it's not working... Am I missing something here?

Transition_ Reopen Issue.pngTransition Update Issue Field Function.png

Deleted user August 9, 2019

"None" is a value, use null

Suggest an answer