Jira Cloud - Disable/Restrict People Menu

Onder Ozcan February 26, 2020

Dear Community,

When you land in the people menu on Jira Cloud, you can search for people and teams, which is a great feature. However this feature, unfortunately, is a security concern for some customers because your people directory could be explored and the names being available to any logged users in the context of sharing the same jira cloud site for different clients. Therefore, is there any way to disable the menu or restricting to specific groups such as jira-admins or site-admins? Many thanks

Kind regards,

Onder

2 answers

0 votes
Tim Hörnle September 28, 2021

Here is the actual feature request, upvote if you want to get this implemented:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-73099

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2020

Hello @Onder Ozcan

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I understand that your customer is worried about the fact that any project administrator can access the people tab under project settings and mistakenly allow undesired users to access the project. Is that correct?

Can you please let us know if you talking about a classic or next-gen project?

In both project types, I'm afraid there's no way to restrict only the people menu from the Project settings or restrict which users can be added to the roles. It is expected that the person added as the project administrator has full permission to define who can access the project he is responsible for.

As a workaround, in classic projects, you can restrict only your site-admins to administer all the projects in your site, by navigating to the project permission schemes and restricting the Administer Project permission to the site-admins, however, this will restrict the project administrator from accessing any feature under project settings, not only the people tab. You can check more information about these steps in the documentation below:

Managing project permissions 

For Jira next-gen, this template provides limited options for customizations and permissions for those customers who wish a simpler solution, so it is not possible to allow only site-admins to administer projects. The documentation below provide you with more information about the permission settings of Next-gen projects:

Overview of permissions in next-gen projects 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Onder Ozcan February 27, 2020

jira_cloud_people_menu.png

Dear Petter,

Thank you for your reply but I think there is a misunderstanding. The people menu I was referring to as shown above. I hope it makes sense now.

Cheers,

Onder 

Suggest an answer