Jira Cloud Automation: display subtasks fields in the parent issue

Abdeladim EL AOUMARI April 7, 2021

hello,

I have sub-task1, sub-task2, sub-task3 created under a parent task.

I want to extract the value of a custom field present in all subtasks and display them in the parent issue.

• Question 1: is it possible using Jira automation to get the value of this field from all the subtaks when ever a subtask is created or updated, and display them in the parent task ?
  • Question 2: using jira automation is it possible to diplay these values in a table (multiline text field & [Wiki Style Renderer]...) ? and eventually update this table whenever the value is updated in a subtask ?

Abdeladim,

1 answer

0 votes
Carlos Faddul
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2021

Hello @Abdeladim EL AOUMARI 

About the questions

• Question 1: is it possible using Jira automation to get the value of this field from all the subtaks when ever a subtask is created or updated, and display them in the parent task ?

In this case using branch you can get this informations.

• Question 2: using jira automation is it possible to diplay these values in a table (multiline text field & [Wiki Style Renderer]...) ? and eventually update this table whenever the value is updated in a subtask ?

You will need use variables in automation to store the past information

Abdeladim EL AOUMARI April 8, 2021

Hello @Carlos Faddul 

Thanks for your answer :)

In this case using branch you can get this informations.

let say I created a specific sub-task type.

My automation trigger is whenever that sub-task type is created (or updated) then I branch "for parent" so I can put the value of a specific field in the parent task. see the screen shot. With this automation rule I can't get the value of that field from the other sub-tasks and dislay them all in the parent issue.

I dont see how I can branch so I can update the parent and then branch to get all sub-tasks of that parent issue. if it possible to do, can you send an example ?

You will need use variables in automation to store the past information

I need this automation rule to be used for an issue type. I dont see how I can in one automation rule use variables to store the past information of all issues sharing the same issue type. can you send an example ?

--

automation rule update parent issue.png

Carlos Faddul
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2021

@Abdeladim EL AOUMARI 

In this case you can use two branchs to do this.

- One branch to run in your sub-tasks using a variable to "sum" the values.

- One branch to change the parent issue

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events