Jira Captcha Infinite loop

Jiri Pik October 20, 2019

Once the user triggers a login Captcha, then no matter how precisely he enters the captcha text, she is never able to log in.

The only way to get her in is to reset the Captcha count in the Uses' Management.

How to get Captcha work?

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2019

Hi Jiri,

If I understand the problem here, you have at least one user that appears to always be getting the captcha upon login and the user seems to unable to login to Jira, even when apparently completing the captcha correctly.  Sorry to hear about this problem, I understand this can be really frustrating to end users to experience.  An endlessly failing captcha feels like the most unfriendly user experience I can think of.

There are a couple of documented problems that can seem to cause behavior like this.  The first can be that the end user's browser contains a corrupted cookie.  When this happens, the session fail validation repeatedly, even with the correct username/password/captcha being entered.  We have documented this problem over in User receives repeated CAPTCHA prompts on login to Jira server.  The solution here is to have the user remove the cookies from their browser to fix this.  You can also test this by having that user attempt to login from a different browser, different machine, or even using incognito/private browsing mode can sometimes bypass such existing cookies.

There is also another scenario whereby Jira server instances hosted on linux operating systems can sometimes be missing necessary fonts for Jira.  When this happens the CAPTCHA will render in an invalid font which is impossible to enter the values for correctly.  This is documented in the KB In JIRA UI shows unreadable text or nothing on CAPTCHA and some gadgets due to missing fonts.

Please try this and let me know if either of these help here.  If they do not, I would be interested to try to replicate this behavior to better understand why it might be happening.  Could you let me know what version of Jira server you are using here and any other specifics of what it takes to reproduce this problem?

Thanks

Andy

Jiri Pik October 23, 2019

THANK YOU

Like Andy Heinzer likes this
Max Haley December 2, 2021

Also experiencing this issue 02/12/2021

Will confirm whether private browsing and deleting cookies works for the users

Edit: refreshing cookies as in the Edge article on Google worked for our users. 02/12/2021

• Delete cookies
    Open the new Microsoft Edge Edge logo and then select Settings and more Three-dot More icon > Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon > Privacy and services.
    Under Clear browsing data, select Choose what to clear.
    Under Time range, choose a time range.
    Select Cookies and other site data, and then select Clear now.
  • Delete cookies every time you close the browser
    Open Microsoft Edge and then select Settings and more Three-dot More icon > Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon > Privacy and services.
    Under Clear browsing data, select Choose what to clear every time you close the browser.
    Turn on the Cookies and other site data toggle.

Suggest an answer