Jira + Bitbucket + SourceTree + gitflow - how to use sourcetree's gitflow features while creating branches in JIRA?

Jeremy Marquis December 3, 2013

In SourceTree, I can use the gitflow button to start/complete features, hotfixes, etc. and it will automatically handle a lot of the gitflow details (and is well organized). However, this creates local branches and does not link them to JIRA issues.

In JIRA, I can create a branch from an issue. This branch is remote (in Bitbucket) and so there is no clear way to use the nice gitflow features of SourceTree.

How can I use both JIRA-initiated and tracked branches with the gitflow features of SourceTree?

9 answers

3 votes
Valerii June 6, 2016

SourceTree's gitflow feature look like very useful.

But in our Bitbucket - each branch has permissions and any changes should  be passed to branch via pull requests. So in this way - we can not use SourceTree gitflow features (because we need pull requests instead of merges)

It would be great if:

• "Finish feature" button - create pull request instead of local merge
  • "Finish hotfix" button - create pull request to master and develop branches instead of local merges.
  • etc.
1 vote
vishal_mobit March 1, 2018

Here is a link to the potential solution if  anyone is still wondering: 
https://wiki.afm.co/display/PUBL/How+to+work+with+git-flow%2C+SourceTree+and+JIRA

Daniel L. Polanco May 4, 2018

This looks like the answer or pretty dang close to it. Thank you.

1 vote
Oleg Bagmet June 6, 2016
  • "Finish hitfix" button -create pull request to master and develop branches instead of local merges.

+1

1 vote
Dmitry Maslov June 6, 2016

+1 

• "Finish hitfix" button -create pull request to master and develop branches instead of local merges.
0 votes
Nikos Perpinias September 27, 2016

I am new to Jira/Git/Bit/SourceTree world but I believe this is a great question and addition to sourceTree

0 votes
Denys Grybov June 6, 2016

+1

0 votes
Maksym Bugai June 6, 2016

+1 "Finish feature" must be create pull request. Otherwise, the "finish feature" is meaningless.

I have no idea why so did SourceTree

0 votes
Jeff Reese October 6, 2014

I would also love to see an answer to this...

0 votes
Jeremy Marquis December 3, 2013

I am new to all these tools and also git. I have only figured out 2 ways, neither particularly clean, intuitive, or satisfying, so I am hoping an expert can help me.

The first way is to create the branch in JIRA but don't check out from Bitbucket, then in SourceTree use gitflow button to create a new feature and change the source from the default to the new remote branch. The annoyance with this is that you have to remember to manually change the repos that pushes go to, every time, to the remote branch (and easy to make a mistake).

The second way is to create the issue branch in JIRA, checkout from bitbucket (which creates a local copy of the remote branch), and then use SourceTree gitflow to create feature/bugfix branches from this issue branch. The problem is that now you have a pointless intermediate branch that makes it harder to push your updates through the chain.

Suggest an answer