Jira Automation

Rachel Coome February 26, 2024

How can I adjust custom date fields in Jira for a work back schedule, so if the work end date changes, the subsequent dates are updated accordingly? Additionally, is there an automated method for applying field changes to multiple story tickets that share the same WBS in Jira?

3 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2024

Hi Rachel,

I do something similar (or maybe the same!) for a client. In this case it is an Epic or a Parent that has a Work Back Due Date.

I created a custom field for Due Date Changed. This can be a radio button or just a checkbox field. It is not visible on any screen.

There is an automation rule that is triggered when that date changes and it is a Epic (or Task/Story, etc. if using Sub-tasks. If you are using both, I would create two separate rules and add a condition check the issue type. This is what we do.)

Then there is an action to set the custom field to Yes for all of the children of the trigger issue. 

Then I have a separate rule that fire when the Due Date Changed field is changed to Yes and the issue type is certain ones. 

Then I have a series of IF/ELSE statements checking for the children because they might have different dates. You will need some type of identifier for each child if they will have different dates. Then under each IF (or Else) there is a branch for Current Issue. 

Then an action under the Branch to Edit Issue. I select the field of the child to be updated and in the box I use a smart value like: {{issue.parent.duedate.minusBusinessDays(8)}}

Where the duedate is the Work Back date you are working off of. If it's not the Due Date, then simply put in your field name instead. 

This will cause the child to have a new due date of 8 business days prior to the parent due date (i.e. work back date). 

That's a lot, but I hope that is what you are looking for. 

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2024

Hello @Rachel Coome 

Can you provide more details about what you mean by "subsequent dates"? Are those other dates within the same issue as the "work end date" you modified? Or are you talking about changing dates in other issues that are somehow linked to the issues you originally changed?

For clarity, can you define your acronym "WBS", and provide a screen image/example of this from your Jira instance?

With what type of Jira project are you working? You can find that information by going to the Projects menu and selecting the View all projects option and then looking at the Type value associated with your project.

In your last question you asked about populating the "custom dates in between" the work start and work live dates. Are those dates within issues, or at some higher level than issues? Here again it would be good if you can show us an example.

0 votes
Rachel Coome February 26, 2024

+ Also, if there are any templates where I can insert the work start and work live date and all the custom dates in between in the WBS will automatically populate, that would be super helpful.

Suggest an answer