Jira Automation - how to add a rule that will check wether a value is equal to another one?

Sharon Freij September 18, 2019

Hi all,

I'm setting up a Jira environment for engineering change management. In our current Access database some preferences are build by ourselves.
Let me explain shortly the process. When an engineer wants to change a material, he has to enter the material number and the reason for changing.
In our current access database, the database is searching through all open change requests, if there's any other open request with the same material number.

Is there any possibility that I can build the same within Jira? That it will search through ''not-closed'' tickets, based on a certain value in a certain field and when it finds a corresponding issue, it will notify the 'issue creator'?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Kuhl _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2019

Hi @Sharon Freij - You can do this by adding a workflow validator to the create transition on the issue workflow.  You would need an additional workflow app such as Jira Workflow Toolbox (for Jira Server or Data Center) to use a JQL validator.  That validator will search for issues and return an error message if other matching issues are found.

Suggest an answer