Jira Automation - help with auto-assign users from group

Boleslaw Nowak July 5, 2021

Hello, we're using the Jira Automation to create re-occuring tasks in our backlog, which are then fulfiled in an order by the dev team. Though I'm having issues to set this 2nd part of the automation. 

I set the basic automation like this:

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 14.25.34.png

And it works fine, tested and all, but that leaves the assignee field empty. so I'm adding an additional action to follow this with:

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 14.27.08.png

I do select the group for the desired one and then after I click save, and the Automation gives an error like following:

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 14.32.59.png

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 14.28.26.png

and I'm kind of stuck, as first I dont even know where to put the JQL as theres no JQL field in any of my actions, and secondly the tasks doesnt exist yet. I saw an option of selecting the assignee within the `Create a New` action, but it doesnt serve the option to assign the task with the Round-robin option.

What am I missing, how could I automate this process.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2021

you need to use the branch rule here. This will ensure that your action to assign to one of the members of your group is done on the current issue that was just created. Here is what it should look like….

4F0CEE20-8B79-41BB-B187-9BD1CEED2ED7.jpeg

Boleslaw Nowak July 5, 2021

Hey Jack, thanks for the reply, unfortunately getting the same error when trying to save the automation, it gives the error that assign issue requires issues. Somehow Jira doesnt understand to set the assignee to the issue it is meant to create.

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 15.11.37.png

EDIT:

This one works like a charm!

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 15.13.52.png

Thanks for the help Jack!

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2021

As you note I used the manual trigger. Can you try changing your trigger to manual and see if you get the same results? If it fails again I think you’ve got something else going on. Do you have any conditions around setting the assignee? Can you manually set the assignee?

0 votes
Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2021
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2021

Suggest an answer